Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the missing .8 gallons???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Where is the missing .8 gallons???

Here's the background info: 2000 FXDL, carb, total fuel capacity 4.9 gallons, 1.1 gallon reserve.

Here's what's happening: Once the bike consumes approximately 3 gallons, it will either sputter and cough (before switching to reserve), or more recently just stall out, ie when idling at a red light. (I know the amount is about 3 gallons because if I fill up immediately, that's what it takes to top off the tank). When I switch to reserve, it runs fine.

If it takes 3 gallons to top it off, plus the 1.1 gallons in reserve for a total of 4.1 gallons, where is the other .8 gallons and why should I need to switch to reserve before consuming closer to 3.8 gallons?

BTW, I used to be able to use more gas (3.5 gallons or more) before needing to swich to reserve.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is time for a new bike....Just kidding....You might want to check the filter on your petcock. It could be clogged. I had a similar issue many years ago and it was the screen on the petcock that was dirty. I wound up replacing the whole petcock with a new one as the old one was hard to turn.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Morestreetthenbob
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you added a tank lift to your bike?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
jcmusic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently added a 2" tank lift to my 04 LR, but before that I could never get more than about 3 gal. in the tank. After the tank lift I looked down into the tank with a light and could not see any gas at all. I did drain as much as I could from the crossover during the lift mod. I had to add a little hose to the crossover. Anyway I put in a half gal. and then went and topped off my tank and still didn't get 4 gal. in it.

Jay

Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Here's the background info: 2000 FXDL, carb, total fuel capacity 4.9 gallons, 1.1 gallon reserve.

Here's what's happening: Once the bike consumes approximately 3 gallons, it will either sputter and cough (before switching to reserve), or more recently just stall out, ie when idling at a red light. (I know the amount is about 3 gallons because if I fill up immediately, that's what it takes to top off the tank). When I switch to reserve, it runs fine.

If it takes 3 gallons to top it off, plus the 1.1 gallons in reserve for a total of 4.1 gallons, where is the other .8 gallons and why should I need to switch to reserve before consuming closer to 3.8 gallons?

BTW, I used to be able to use more gas (3.5 gallons or more) before needing to swich to reserve.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Does look like ur tank is lifted, if so thers prob about.80 in the lower end near the seat... Just guessing though. OR you have the largest fuel pump on any HD in the universe

Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Well why don't you get one of these and then go ride until you completely run out of gas, primary and reserve, and then see how much it takes to fill it up.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, Bob. I will check the filter.

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
I think it is time for a new bike....Just kidding....You might want to check the filter on your petcock. It could be clogged. I had a similar issue many years ago and it was the screen on the petcock that was dirty. I wound up replacing the whole petcock with a new one as the old one was hard to turn.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

To those who suggested the tank lift could be the cause, there is NO tank lift on the bike.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member

I considered that, and may ultimately do just what you suggest. I was hoping there is an explanation (clogged fuel filter that bobnehoc suggested?) before running the primary and reserve tank dry.

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Well why don't you get one of these and then go ride until you completely run out of gas, primary and reserve, and then see how much it takes to fill it up.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
I considered that, and may ultimately do just what you suggest. I was hoping there is an explanation (clogged fuel filter that bobnehoc suggested?) before running the primary and reserve tank dry.
I think the filter suggestion was most likely right on, but running it out should confirm, it is the only thing inside the tank that could change on a carb bike.

Quick Reply: Where is the missing .8 gallons???