Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar: For looks? Function? Or both?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
canadagrown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sissy bar: For looks? Function? Or both?

The old lady is uncomfortable on the back of my street bob and wants me to get a sissy bar. I've done some research but can't decide what I want. Some of the longer ones look good, but I'm not sure if the guys have them for functionality....but I could be wrong. Can you get a pad that goes on and off? The short ones that look like a backrest do not look that great when attached, but would be quite comfy....but they are removable I think???? I'm getting nowhere trying to decide on my own, and very few bike pics have the sissy bar attached so it's tough to get an opinion. Any advice on type of sissy bar that looks decent and serves its purpose? and where to find pics? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:11 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't care for the look of a sissy bar just get a detachable and remove the whole set up when riding solo. (the brackets, side bars and pad come off as a set) I myself have the standard, padded, non detachable. It's about 8 " tall. I kind of like the look of them and I use a tail bag that attaches to it because I hate the look of saddlebags. Everybodies different.

I won't let my wife on the back of any bike without a sissy bar for safety. If I have to gun it to avoid a car, I don't want her sliding off the back of the bike.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Bandit29
Tourer

I have the quick detachable and works out great. Can easily switch back and forth for when the wife rides.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

i have the fatboy lo i got the one piece sissy bar looks great i keep it on all the time

Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Check out the classifieds on this same site under the dyna section. There are a few of them on sale and they have pics. They are overpriced new, you can easily get a great used set for half price. Then if you decide to go a different route later you can sell them and buy something else

Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I made a 30" bar out of 5/8" solid bar stock, then ground the ends down to 9/16th, drilled and tapped them to fit the detachable sideplates, and had a maltese cross design I drew welded into the frame. Sprayed the whole thing in bedliner, and will probably have it powder coated. My wife rode with it (used a detachable pad on the cross) and it is solid. Whole thing comes off in 3 sec with the detachable plates, but I leave it on to mount a backpack for small stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Sissy bar: For looks? Function? Or both?-bar-done.jpg  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I added a fixed bar and pad with a rack on the back, I got the fixed one because I heard some where having issues with the detachable hardware rattling (which I hate) and also because I use it every ride whether solo or two up to hang a T-bag on so it has a functional purpose either way.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
RadioBob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the look of the sissy bar but when the lady is on it goes on so she doesn't fall off and plus she doesn't give me the deathgrip when she is holding on. Overall makes for a much more comfortable ride in my opinion.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

I went with the non-detachable, but if I did it again I would go with detachable.
The way it is I have to run a sissy bar or I'll just have two mounts sticking up on each side of the fender.

I have a tall sissy bar for riding two up and install a pad on it for her backrest. If riding two-up and carrying a tour pack I use it with a detachable rack behind it. If touring solo, I remove the passenger seat and stuff and mount a fender rack and put the luggage in front of it. Other times I just put the low grab rail on it, no racks and no passenger seat. I can change this stuff in about 5 minutes.

My saddle bags are QD, so I just use them when going on shorter runs.

Last edited by HemiOrange; 07-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:46 AM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer

I use a detachable one when riding solo it's off when i do on a trip or I ride with my son(I feel safer when he's on it) or the girlfriend (she feels safer when she rides) it's on

Quick Reply: Sissy bar: For looks? Function? Or both?