Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Dimming headlights and hard start update

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Dimming headlights and hard start update

For those of you who remember my two threads from last week about my headlights dimming and occasional problems starting here's the update. I was suppose to bring my bike to the dealer to check it out today ... I never made it to the dealer, the bike TOTALLY died. Not low power ... NO power! So I took off the battery side panel hoping it would be something simple so i could at least drive the bike for service ... and it WAS. The cheap metal hoop going from the positive battery wire to the battery was broken and was barely touching the battery. It was probably letting go causing the lights dimming and the ocassional hard starts. Luckily I had a new connector in my junk drawer so i snipped the wire, crimped on the new connector and now I'm good to go. No need to go to the dealer ... I canceled the service appointment! The only crap part is I lost the battery cover screw someplace in the frame! Dropped out of my fingers when I was taking it off and went someplace behind the motor in the frame. I have a right size generic replacement but it's not flat black like the stock Harley screw. ... Oh well ... I'm still thrilled it was a simple fix and I didn't have to bring the bike to the dealer. Electrical problems can sometimes be real hard to find ... I got lucky on this one!

So that's what happened. Thanks to all who made suggestions on both threads for all their help!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got your fix man

Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBobRay
For those of you who remember my two threads from last week about my headlights dimming and occasional problems starting here's the update. I was suppose to bring my bike to the dealer to check it out today ... I never made it to the dealer, the bike TOTALLY died. Not low power ... NO power! So I took off the battery side panel hoping it would be something simple so i could at least drive the bike for service ... and it WAS. The cheap metal hoop going from the positive battery wire to the battery was broken and was barely touching the battery. It was probably letting go causing the lights dimming and the ocassional hard starts. Luckily I had a new connector in my junk drawer so i snipped the wire, crimped on the new connector and now I'm good to go. No need to go to the dealer ... I canceled the service appointment! The only crap part is I lost the battery cover screw someplace in the frame! Dropped out of my fingers when I was taking it off and went someplace behind the motor in the frame. I have a right size generic replacement but it's not flat black like the stock Harley screw. ... Oh well ... I'm still thrilled it was a simple fix and I didn't have to bring the bike to the dealer. Electrical problems can sometimes be real hard to find ... I got lucky on this one!

So that's what happened. Thanks to all who made suggestions on both threads for all their help!
told you to check your connections.... glad to hear it was simple

Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM
FXDF MYK
Cruiser

Yep, my connectors are wearing too. Use a telescoping magnet and feel for the screw, worth a shot.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

that's good news...

Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

things are looking up!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:40 AM
du510
Tourer

Bringing up an old thread --- the screw for the battery box, do you know what size it was? I have the same issue and haven't started the guess & check yet.