Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 AM
andyk21996
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer stopped working

Just bought an 02 Super Glide 3 days ago and all of suden the dial wont move and the milage on the digital counter wont change but the light works. so initialy I thought it's most likely the sending unit but also noticed at the same time when that happened that the blinkers wont automaticaly shut off.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 AM
martinrobert
Intermediate

sorry for posting this as I'm not a Dyna owner (soon to be I hope) however....

I have a 2006 1200c and have the same issue with the speedo, odometer and turn signal auto shutoff not working from time to time - it's almost about every 2 or 3K miles...

The techincal part ID is the 'VSS' or Vehicle Speed Sensor that gets little filings on it as it sends off the forth gear from the transmission - at least that's what happens on the sporty -- can't speak as to where it is on the Dynas but the symptoms are identical.

Just pull that out - wipe it off with a rag -- and put it back in. I had to do that on the road once and it works every time. Some have said that if it keeps up that you need to replace it - but it's a 90 dollar part on the sporty so I just keep cleaning.

Hope this helps.......

Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Ditto

Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by martinrobert
sorry for posting this as I'm not a Dyna owner (soon to be I hope) however....

I have a 2006 1200c and have the same issue with the speedo, odometer and turn signal auto shutoff not working from time to time - it's almost about every 2 or 3K miles...

The techincal part ID is the 'VSS' or Vehicle Speed Sensor that gets little filings on it as it sends off the forth gear from the transmission - at least that's what happens on the sporty -- can't speak as to where it is on the Dynas but the symptoms are identical.

Just pull that out - wipe it off with a rag -- and put it back in. I had to do that on the road once and it works every time. Some have said that if it keeps up that you need to replace it - but it's a 90 dollar part on the sporty so I just keep cleaning.

Hope this helps.......
Any good advise is welcome over here in the Dyna Models Section, martinrobert!

I second your solution: had the same issue at about 35.000km ...took out the speed sensor, cleaned it, put it back in and rode another 35.000km and up to now problem didn't occur!

Cheers,

Old 08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Had the same problem just before going to Canada. Took it to my dealer (under warranty). They cleaned it for $125 and sent me on my way - 25 miles down the road it did it again - stopped at a couple dealers along the way and each did something different but with the same results. Finally the dealer in Canada replaced the sensor and never had the problem again. Almost all the dealers I told this to said they would replace it, never just clean it - takes the same amount of time. If my dealer had done that it would have been covered under the warranty and cost me almost nothing($50). I had a big fight with the dealer - took about a year but they finally gave me a store credit for the amount of the cleaning.
Some people might get away with just cleaning it and cleaning it and cleaning it. Get a new one and forget it.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 AM
andyk21996
Stage II

Hey everyone thanks for the input I really apreciate it. I pulled it out and cleaned it but to no luck. I'm just going to replace it today but I want to say This is the first time I used a forum like this and I'm really impressed with everyone being so helpfull, you guys ROCK!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your speed sensor connection thats under the seat

Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by roofer
Check your speed sensor connection thats under the seat
+1 on that, there should be a 3 pin connector under the seat, if it is loose you will get exactly what you described. Clean that connection and make sure it is solid.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer
Default The Same Thing Just Happened To Me - HELP!

Hi all.. I can't thank you enough for this post. I was just riding my 2009 RKC, and all of a sudden, the speedo went to zero, the gear shift indicator disappeared, or showed the wrong gear, cruise control wouldn't work, and the automatic blinker cancellation feature was gone too. A couple of times, when I pulled in the clutch, the bike stalled. Never had this before, and my bike has been perfect until now, with 10,000 miles. That said, it just came from the dealership following said service - proudly paid with chrome cash for that one. Does this sound like the same thing? I have a few more things going on than the other poster, but I think I have more features on the RKC. I was very concerned as I am heading out for a long ride soon, and any / all feedback would be greatly appreciated! Remember 9/11 - Never Again.

Andrew

Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM
panelbeater
Cruiser

My speedo would sometimes drop out or stick, engine light on, then back to normal. It was really baffling me as i had done the usual speed sensor cleaning and testing, checking connectors, looking for skinned wire, etc. Was about to switch out my speedo because everything was kosher. Then it did it one day and i fiddled with the key running down the road. Yep key switch was causing my speedo gremlin.

Quick Reply: Speedometer stopped working