Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat on a Switchback... did not like the the dealer's pitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Jamrom2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat on a Switchback... did not like the the dealer's pitch

So I stopped over at my local HD dealer for some parts (what else is new), and they had the new '12 Switchback. Salesman was a tool, so my conversation was not smooth. I had a few questions about it, one being what the advantage was of buying this over a Road King? I caught him toatally off-gaurd with that one.

His answer was that it's meant for a 'smaller' guy to ride. The Road Kings are bigger and harder to handler, so if a lesser sized man wanted that same look and feel, he could buy the Switchback. Puzzled, I looked at him and said... well, why not buy a Heritage then.

Also he mentioned that everyone wanted floorboards so Harley designed the bike around that aspect.

Some people should not be in sales. It was a nice bike, but I felt it looked like a scaled down cross between a Heritage and a Road King, with less dress and more paint. I don't think the price was worth buying it over a Road King, it was about $1200 MSRP cheaper. I'm 41, 5'10", 190 (in shape)... to me, I'd cough up the cash for the RK. Anyway, I'll keep my FXDWG.

What do you guys think of the new Switchback?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think that 16,000 is a little to much.

I think there is better value to be had in other bikes.

Personally, I'm also not a fan of paying more for a bike because of the accessories, like the bags and windshield, IF you finance any of the bike.
My philosophy is to buy a stripped bike, so that I'm only paying interest in what is absolutely necessary, and to pay it off as fast as I can, while paying CASH for the bags, windshield, etc. so that a 500 dollar set of bags doesn't end up costing me 700 dollars over the life of a loan.

My opinion on the bike itself? nice to see a dyna with boards, I think. I like the front end, fenders, and pipes. I'm not crazy about the "cobbled together" look of the Dyna line, but all in all I think the bike is otherwise aesthetically pleasing. But not for 16K

Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Cobbled look of the Dyna line, you gotta be kidding. The Dyna and Sportster are the only lines that even resemble the earlier Harleys.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Onedawg
Intermediate

I like mine, so far.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Wide Glide also priced @ $16k? And that being without hard, painted saddle bags, a wind screen, rims, and floorboards? Please don't take this in any wrong way... I'm am being serious and curious about the price differences. And by the way, I really like the Wide Glide much better. ...But not as much as my Low Rider.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JT-FXDL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Wide Glide also priced @ $16k? And that being without hard, painted saddle bags, a wind screen, rims, and floorboards? Please don't take this in any wrong way... I'm am being serious and curious about the price differences. And by the way, I really like the Wide Glide much better. ...But not as much as my Low Rider.
Wide Glide=$14,849 Black, $15,554 two tone.

Anyone that wants a Switchback is getting a good deal, and those that don't want one would complain if it was priced less than an 883 Iron. There are plenty of us that would like a bike that is good for the open road and does not approach the bulk of a Goldwing.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I personally don't care for it.

Single disc front brake, smaller bags, wheels don't match the era look of the rest of the bike.

The DYNA to have is the Superglide Custom and then the Wideglide. Sure wish you could still get the old bobtail rear fender on the WG.

~Joe

Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Talking

Originally Posted by traveler
I personally don't care for it.

Single disc front brake, smaller bags, wheels don't match the era look of the rest of the bike.

The DYNA to have is the Superglide Custom and then the Wideglide. Sure wish you could still get the old bobtail rear fender on the WG.

~Joe
You can, just trade me a Switchback for my 07' WideGlide

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Plenty of Dyna owners end up spending the $$ to put on detachable/lockable bags, a windshield, floorboards, upgrade to 103" and even 7" headlight. So to me it's just a Dyna with a bunch of accessories attached from the factory. But I'm not sure why they changed the front end to the FL style.

I agree with traveler, the mags don't fit the rest of the styling.

As for the price points approaching the RK, maybe some people don't want a RK. Just saying.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

I wish the moco made those rims in a 19"... I'd love to have a set of those for my Low Rider.

Quick Reply: Sat on a Switchback... did not like the the dealer's pitch