Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light not coming on at ignition

Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light not coming on at ignition

Hope this is an easy one. I just bought my 1st harley in years, a 2012 Dyna Wide glide with security system. when the bike is on the side stand and I turn on the ignition switch, the check engine light comes on as it is supposed to, however when I am on the bike and it is upright with the red security light on and I turn on the ignition switch, sometimes, the check engine light does not come on at all or comes on for 1-2 seconds. Is this normal?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

not sure if im reading you right but the check engine light comes on until the
fuel pump builds pressure then goes out.
you should always wait until the light goes out before cranking if the bike is stock.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Plaidfinger
Cruiser

The problem is that there are times when the light does not come on with my stock bike. It is only when I have raised the bike off the kickstand and the red security light is lit. If I turn on the ignition with the bike on the kickstand, it lights up every time. Is this a result of the security system? Anyone else with the security system notice this or be willing to sit on your bike, then turn the ignition on while the red security light is lit and see if the check light still lights up?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the security system but I would assume it has to do with the anti-theft. From what I have read these systems are motion activated.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plaidfinger
The problem is that there are times when the light does not come on with my stock bike. It is only when I have raised the bike off the kickstand and the red security light is lit. If I turn on the ignition with the bike on the kickstand, it lights up every time. Is this a result of the security system? Anyone else with the security system notice this or be willing to sit on your bike, then turn the ignition on while the red security light is lit and see if the check light still lights up?
The check engine light is supposed to come on wait till it goes off to push the start button , as far a the red security light >>>>>>>>> ( CHECK OUT YOUR OWNERS MANUAL )

Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 PM
lmyers
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Plaidfinger
Hope this is an easy one. I just bought my 1st harley in years, a 2012 Dyna Wide glide with security system. when the bike is on the side stand and I turn on the ignition switch, the check engine light comes on as it is supposed to, however when I am on the bike and it is upright with the red security light on and I turn on the ignition switch, sometimes, the check engine light does not come on at all or comes on for 1-2 seconds. Is this normal?
I have a 2013 fatboy lo and noticed the same. Not sure if it's normal or not...did you get any further info on this?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
8upguitarman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine seemed like it didn't do that before. Just had new Stator put in and mine does that now. They come on, start, go off for a second, key then Engine light come on for a few seconds and they go away. No security system.
Runs fine now.