Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Check engine light coming on! :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Help! Check engine light coming on! :(

Hey guys,

Ok, so for some weird reason, my check engine light is coming. However, it only comes on for a few seconds. When I hit the run switch, the check engine light always comes on along with the 2-3 second beep. Normal. Every harley does it. But, after it goes away, about 3-4 seconds later, the check engine light comes back on and stays on for about 7 seconds.

Any suggestions on what the heck its doing that for? My bike is running completely fine, and I've had no troubles with it (at the moment). Should I run diagnostics on it and see if it'll throw codes?

If so, does anyone have the link to the page to run diagnostics and codes? I had it saved on my old computer, but it crashed a while back and I lose everything.

Thanks fella's,
Adrian

Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Clwtr HD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is doing the exact same thing!!!!

HELP US PLEASE

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was doing that for awhile too. I just kept riding it and it stopped doing it. I have read some other posts that it will clear itself after about 30 or so times of starting it, so I left it alone and it cleared on its own.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Directions and codes: click here

Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

It's telling you it has a stored code from a previous problem or an intermittent problem that clears itself. After a few starts an intermittent problem light will go away if problem goes away but did not know it cleared stored codes on it's own. Ought to read it before deleting.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-06-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Had that happen on my road king, the code was a cylinder misfire, on of my plugs was not fully seated on the coil

Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Hey guys,

Ok, so for some weird reason, my check engine light is coming. However, it only comes on for a few seconds. When I hit the run switch, the check engine light always comes on along with the 2-3 second beep. Normal. Every harley does it. But, after it goes away, about 3-4 seconds later, the check engine light comes back on and stays on for about 7 seconds.

Any suggestions on what the heck its doing that for? My bike is running completely fine, and I've had no troubles with it (at the moment). Should I run diagnostics on it and see if it'll throw codes?

If so, does anyone have the link to the page to run diagnostics and codes? I had it saved on my old computer, but it crashed a while back and I lose everything.

Thanks fella's,
Adrian

Originally Posted by grf000
It's telling you it has a stored code from a previous problem or an intermittent problem that clears itself. After a few starts an intermittent problem light will go away if problem goes away but did not know it cleared stored codes on it's own. Ought to read it before deleting.
Hey Adrian,

Been some time...hope you and the family are doing OK in FLA!

+1 on what grf000 posted.....

Here's the text from my 2003 Dyna Models Electrical Diagnostics Manual for you Adrian:

"1. When the ignitions witch is turned ON, the check engine lamp will illuminate for approximately four seconds and then turn off.
After lamp turns off after being illuminated for the first four second period, one of three situations may occur.
a. The lamp remains off. This indicates there are no current fault conditions or stored functional trouble codes currently detected by the ignition module.
b. The lamp stays off for only four seconds and then comes back on for an eight second period. This indicates a functional error code is stored, but no current trouble code exists.
c. lf the lamp remains on beyond the eight second period, then a current trouble code exists.
3. See CODE TYPES which follows Íor a complete description of trouble code formats.
NOTE
Trouble codes relating to the ignition coil can only be fully diagnosed during actuation. For example, a problem with the ignition' coil will be considered a current fault even after the problem is corrected, since the ignition module will not know of its resolution until after the coil is exercised by vehicle start sequence. ln this manner, there may sometimes be a false indication of the current trouble code.

CLEARING CODES:
After correcting system problems, clear trouble codes using the Scanalyzer. If the Scanalyzer is not available, perform 50 start and run cycles. To execute one run cycle:
1. Start vehicle
2. Let it run for at least 30 seconds
3. Turn the engine off
"

Old 09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Thank you so much for the help guys. I greatly appreciate it. I can now breath a sigh of relief now. LOL. I've been so worried all day of what it could be. PHEW!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

run a diagnostic and then after that clear it. every now and then mine does the same thing when a light or someting goes out. my tach light just went out and it triggered a code... happens man

Old 09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Now that I think of it, my fuel gauge stopped working for a week, but then randomly started working again. Same with my right blinker light in the dash (not in the rear). Maybe that could be the reason.

Quick Reply: Help! Check engine light coming on! :(