Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FXDC Help-- Fuel Gauge

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM
shrevestang
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FXDC Help-- Fuel Gauge

Hello. I have recently installed the H-D instrument cluster that has the fuel gauge built into it. I wanted to remove the one that is in the tank. So I removed it. Now my speedometer gas gauge is reading empty. I tried jumping the origional wires--- Signal to ground---Didnt work--- Then signal to power--- didnt work. Is there a way to bypass the origional gauge or am i just stuck with it.. Thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm not sure. I just left the original in and haven't had any problem. I really do like the new speedo, looks and works great.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortuantely it doesn't matter as the guage isn't accurate and there is a number of people on this forum that is adamant that is ok. I brought this up a number of months ago and got flamed that you just need to track your mileage. I think most miss the point that this is 2011 and not 1970, technology has advanced and we should now expect that this stuff works. I also have a Goldwing and if say half, it takes a half. This isn't rocket science, so I am lost why people are willing to expect that this stuff won't work properly. I was just out this past weekend and the guage read 190 miles to empty only to find out I took just over 3 gallons. It's the little things that drive people away, not the big things. ARE YOU LISTENING HARLEY?????

Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
2011 super glide dude
Advanced

I have 2011FXDC and my gauge works good. When fuel light comes on it will take 4 gallons and says 25 miles and after fill up it will say 180 - 190 miles to empty and if it did not work then to dealer for warranty repair until they got it to work as designed. Would be pain in the a$$ until fixed

Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
shrevestang
2nd Gear

I wanted to eliminate the gauge on the tank, since I have a new tank and the factory fuel gauge will not fit on it since it has to gas caps....I have the new speedo with the gauge on it, but if i unhook the factory gas gauge the low fuel light stays on..I guess there is no way around this.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM
switzead
Cruiser

The fuel gauge has to be in the circuit for the idiot light and new speedos to function properly. The float sends a signal to the gauge and then the gauge send a signal to the idiot light and new speedos. If your not using the fuel gauge put a dummy cap in its place then remove the circuit board from the fuel gauge and place it inside the hole and then put the dummy cap over it. Forum member "thegrants82" has done just this. May hit him up about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...-blackout.html Post #16

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 PM
RonRock
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by switzead
The fuel gauge has to be in the circuit for the idiot light and new speedos to function properly. The float sends a signal to the gauge and then the gauge send a signal to the idiot light and new speedos. If your not using the fuel gauge put a dummy cap in its place then remove the circuit board from the fuel gauge and place it inside the hole and then put the dummy cap over it. Forum member "thegrants82" has done just this. May hit him up about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-g...-blackout.html Post #16

Thanks for the pointer. I have been trying to figure this out also. I have been told that I need my OEM gauge, and also that I don't. Haven't had time to just unplug it to see. Now I know how to deal with it.

Sure seems like HD would have a fix for the issue. After all they are selling the replacement speedo with fuel gauge in it. Should be an easy software fix.

Thanks Again

Old 09-13-2011, 09:20 PM
RonRock
Tourer

Spoke too soon. The link is dead. You have a working link?

Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Bop49
Advanced
Default Pass. mounts fxdc

I have Pass. mounts off 2011 fxdc, black wrinkle. Email if interested. fxdc@ma.rr.com

Old 09-14-2011, 05:47 PM
RonRock
Tourer

Bop, Yeah I'm interested. I have been unable to PM or email you. But you can get to me
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by RonRock; 09-26-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 FXDC Help-- Fuel Gauge