Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper tuning for carb engine when changing pipes. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Proper tuning for carb engine when changing pipes. Please Help

I am contemplating changing my pipes to something short because my V&H Longshots dangerous in turns with a lowered rear and non-lowered front.

I have a basic understanding of carb tuning in that the carb regulates the mixture of fuel and air in to the cylinders, changing the jet adjusts this mixture and checking your plugs helps indicate too rich or lean.

I have a Kuryakyn hypercharger on what i believe to be the stock CV carb. What will i need to replace or adjust to get a decent tuning after changing the pipes? I'm not looking for huge power increases, jut good wide-band power without fouling my plugs and screwing up the engine.

I prefer to do my own work when possible and any help is appreciated. Or is this just one of those times i should get a real mechanic to do the work and try and take notes? If so, how much should i expect for a re-jetting or tuning. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not a drastic change you're doing there. I'd just start with the external fuel/air screw(s). Just set them for max RPM, or another way is to turn them one way until the engine stumbles, turn the the other way until the engine stumbles, then turn them midway between these two points.

There is also a lot of on-line info available. I was able to find the tuning manual for a friend's Super "E" in a matter of minutes. It was all inclusive and free. Motorcycle carbs are easy to work on, but my experience is limited to Mikuni where there are pilot jets, needle jets, jet needles and main jets.

A manual will tell you which jets you have and at what throttle opening they each cover, including the overlap.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 AM
DTDK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are running lean right now, you can limp it along by just adjusting what you have, or you can rejet. Rejetting is easy once you have done it one time. the only speacialty tool that i was told to get and use is an anglemometer, i bought mine at ace hardware for about 10 bucks, you use it to make sure you put the carb back one square with the engine. take a read off your intake then a read off your air horn and make sure they are the same.

as for jets, just start one size up from what you have and then take a read on your plugs. so if you have a 46 and a 180 jet go to a 47 and 185 and check your plugs later to see how you are running.

as for the air mix screw you can tighten it in all the way then loosen it 2 turns for a start point. then tighten until it stumbles then loosen it until it stumbles, count the turns in between and go to the middle. I personally run just on the side of rich on my carbed bikes.

That is the easy simple way to do it. There are plenty of techniques and the internet can show you how to do most of them.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer

Thanks guys. I found this site too which has a lot of great, easy to understand info. Hopefully someone else might find this stuff helpfull too if they decide to change their own pipes or re-tune.

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...r-jetting.html

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Dirknar
Tourer

Thanks for posting al this good info, I have an 02 fxdl. I would love to see some more pics of your bike and the mods you did.. Im always looking for ideas.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
jndr756
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i read the info on the links that ya'll provided and helped me out a lot. I just got another bike to mess with a 98 electra glide classic completely stock. i know this is the dyna forum but i could really use ya'lls help. I think im gonna be making a bigger change than maryland blackout is on his bike. he's already got aftermarket exhaust. im just gonna put some slipons like thunderheader on and a better breather. do you think going up to the next sized jets would be correct for me also. thanks, i swear a carbed bike sounds better than my fuel injected bike.