Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Stage 1 Kit

I have a bday coming up and hubby asked what I wanted. I called the dealer and made an appointment for today to have the stage 1 done and do the download or chip (whichever everyone calls it). I ordered the round breather kit with the HD rain sock and diamond ice cover.

Anyways, we went across the street to grab coffee while waiting and when we returned the mechanic came out with bad news. He said the regular download that is normally $150 is no longer available for the 2011 Dyna models. He then gave us two options, one is another download that "supposedly" Harley said is better but they upped the price to $299 and the mechanic said "being better is a pile of crap". So my option was to take the download of $299 which was not in stock so I would have had to wait or get the SE Super Pro Tuner which was $469. It was kind of disappointing as hubby and I were going to both get stage 1 kits done but with the price difference, we could only afford one so hubby opted out for me to get mine done. (yeah I know, I am a lucky woman and love my hubby dearly).

Anyways, on the way home I noticed my RPM are much higher and I am now going 80 kmp in third gear. The mechanic had changed my rev limiter to 6200, 10 HP and 16 TQ extra. So that would explain my gear ration being different. He dyno'd this by the seat of his pants so to speak and the tuner was one you plugged in and then loaded on the computer to read. It was not one that stayed connected to my bike. Anyways, off my main question, while riding, I love the low end torque that I now have and pick up is absolutely amazing but I was cruising the highway and hit 170 kph and shifted to 6th gear and the bike seemed to just drop off almost like someone grabbed the *** end of my bike and was pulling me back. Is this normal?? Will this hurt my bike driving at that speed and not shifting to sixth gear?? Just for the record, the bike didn't feel like it was hurting in 5th and wasn't screaming to be shifted either.

My sock didn't come in today so I have to drive down to get it when it comes in and just asking this question so when I go back and the weather is good, I can get him to plug my tuner back in and recheck everything.

Please no ignorant remarks ... I am asking because this is all new to me with stage 1 kits and tuners.

Thanks

Delta

Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Riding in 5th gear is fine. I do it all the time . I don't usually shift gears till about 75 MPH in 6th unless i just want to cruise.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW your stage one should be just fine . Sounds like its running great.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain

Thank you for replying. It didnt' want to except 6th gear at all so I guess I was kind of concerned. I won't be there all the time and like I told hubby, I'd rather have the low end torque then the top end anyways. LOL I absolutely love the kick I get when I hit my throttle. I am a "need for speed freak" in a female form. LOL Well maybe not just need for speed but I love the rush I get setting myself back in my seat.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I question the dealer saying for 2011 no stage 1 download? I have an 11 dyna and i had the stage 1 download when i has slipons and open ac installed. Cost me 150 for the download. Now that i have a tuner that 150 was just thrown out the window. I am glad you went for the tuner instead but why would he say there is no download for 2011 models? Do they only have so many downloads to go around and when there sold out there gone?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would tell your hubby to bypass the Harley stage 1 flash and head over to www.fuelmotousa.com for one of thier products, free maps for life, so if he changes anything he doesnt have to pay the stealership for another tune.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain

The mechanic said that when he plugged my bike it, Harley was saying no available download. He was just as surprised as we were. They must have just recently done this or they are working their way around to dealers for the $150 download. I know there was another download but that was raised to $299. I know they looked it up and the download was still available for softail models but maybe it wasn't all Dyna's, either way, just another way for HD to get more money.

The mechanic and dealership was very good with us and he had my breather all on and ready for download. He offered to remove it all and put stock back on due to the unexpected change. When we decided to go ahead with the tuner, they gave us a wonderful deal on it due to all the trouble and us making the trip. They didn't have to do that for us but they did. The mechanic even called me into the garage to show me the tuner on the computer screen so I could understand it more. If this had been another dealership, we might have questioned. But this dealership here treats us wonderfully and the mechanic knows his stuff.

Oh hubby won't be getting the flash done if he decides to do his stage one. He can't get it anyways unless he wants to pay the 299 for it. He is kind of testing my bike with HP and TQ to see if he likes it or not before he does his.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into the XEID's for 100 bucks. You won't need a download and can do pipes and intake or just run the XEID's stock. Right away you will notice the bike running cooler and a tad more performance.

Check them out at nightrider.com

Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 PM
MotoSoul11
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooti
Look into the XEID's for 100 bucks. You won't need a download and can do pipes and intake or just run the XEID's stock. Right away you will notice the bike running cooler and a tad more performance.

Check them out at nightrider.com
Are you saying that I could put short shots and an aftermarket A/C on without any issues if I install XIED's?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason the download is not available anymore is because it doesn't do anything. All three of my nearest dealers no longer offer it as an option on late-model stage-1s.

Since 2008 the ECU (latest Delphi ECU with O2 sensors) has been self adjusting for stage-1 pipes and air cleaner; it can adjust the AFR to stock levels without further dowloads. So the stage-1 download did precisely nothing and our dealers have stopped offering it.

I have no idea what this $299 download is that you were offered but I think that it was just a ploy to up the price to close to a SEPST so you'd buy that instead.

You also don't mention an exhaust upgrade. If you have only done the air cleaner and not replaced the stock exhaust then you haven't done a stage-1 and you will see near-zero performance increase and this might explain why the bike is bogging down in 6th.

As for...
on the way home I noticed my RPM are much higher and I am now going 80 kmp in third gear. The mechanic had changed my rev limiter to 6200, 10 HP and 16 TQ extra. So that would explain my gear ration being different.
This is just wrong. There is nothing that has been done to your bike that can alter the gear ratio. If you have had a change like this then something is seriously screwed up. You sure that you bike isn't now indicating MPH instead of KPH?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Kit