Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Street Bob won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:28 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Make sure your battery cables are tight, especially the negative cable where it is grounded at the starter.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:35 PM
marphyin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your help. All the battery cable are tide. Today is Sunday So I will get new battery tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Bobber Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try jumping it with a car, that will let u know if u need a new battery.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

Did you take the battery cables off and clean them and the posts? Do that and leave a battery TENDER on it til the light turns green. It is either bad connection, bad battery, or you left the key or an accessory on and drained the battery.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Had a problem similar to this... your battery may not have enough juice to crank you over.. (even though the lights are on) if a new battery fixes it then cool.. but (if after checking the other issues that the fellow posters have eluded to) watch and see if this type of problem dosent reoccur... if it does.. and the new battery starts to take a nose dive.. your stator unit is fixing to take a dump and will have to be replaced.. also watch jumping from a car.. make sure if you do that the vehicle you are using (as the power source) is not running to much voltage will hose something for sure..

Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Secondly.. have you had a large bore compression job done on your bike? and if so has it sat in the sun for a long period of time? sounds like to me upon a second listen that the starter armateur is bouncing off the flywheel.. as if it dosent have the a$$ to turn it over... if you have a big bore kit.. get compression releases.. (never a bad idea) if not and it is bound up still.. try loosening the plugs by 1/8th turns.. .. s-l-o-w-l-y.. if that dosent do it.. then you may just have a bum starter.. how many miles are on the bike now?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
jamman
Road Master

man i love this site.. lmaooooooooooooo..

Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 PM
marphyin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
Secondly.. have you had a large bore compression job done on your bike? and if so has it sat in the sun for a long period of time? sounds like to me upon a second listen that the starter armateur is bouncing off the flywheel.. as if it dosent have the a$$ to turn it over... if you have a big bore kit.. get compression releases.. (never a bad idea) if not and it is bound up still.. try loosening the plugs by 1/8th turns.. .. s-l-o-w-l-y.. if that dosent do it.. then you may just have a bum starter.. how many miles are on the bike now?
Bike is just over 7500 miles. No, its original bike. I did not do any engine job. Problem is there is no service close to my house. The close one is about 35 miles and I have to tow it away too.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jamman
man i love this site.. lmaooooooooooooo..

So do I....

(I had a Voltage regulator go kaput once and a similar thing happened ... food for thought)

I would say then that (based on the current info. you provided) that you should foot the cash and take it in.. I am also assuming that you dont have the necessary hand tools and or the requisite service manual.. (not the owners manual) in order to tear into it yourself.. let a pro diagnose this issue.. save yourself some headache and lost funding.. and let us know what they find

Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the security system installed? If so as mentioned earlier the battery in the fob is probably bad, especially if they are the original batteries. You can get a new battery at any Radio Shack or electronics store. Had this happen to me when I went to pick up my bike. The guy I bought it from never changed the battery. Bikd started right up once and the next time we went to start it the dire tionals just blinked and the red key light came on in the speedo. He bought another battery and she fired right up. I now change the battery every year and I set my personal security code so if the battery dies again I can still get the bike started...

Quick Reply: HELP! Street Bob won't start