Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 IPB recall, what the dealer told me.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 251 Posts
Default 2006 IPB recall, what the dealer told me.

I have an '06 Superglide with 10K miles on it in for repair, the Inner Primary Bearing is shot. So I wnet to see the H-D dealer in Auckland to see if it was covered by Harley and if not, what I needed to do to fix it permanently.

Initially cagey they were a lot more forthcoming once they realised who the bike belonged to and here is what they told me.

There was no recall it was a service bulletin saying to replace 06 IPB's at 12500 miles.

To fix the problem just use an 07-on IPB.

The service manager showed me on the computer that there was no recall....

Now....who has heard different from a US H-D dealer? I am very interested in this issue and its resolution so I can advise customers correctly.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you register on the HD Owners site you can use your vin, and check recalls, I keep checking it, but nothing so far....
heres the site https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...bmLocale=en_US

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,105 Likes on 1,493 Posts

There is a LOT of info on this..do a search of the forums...there are 3 or so threads here which are VERY long and have pages and pages of contributions from many members here over the years with their experiences.

My experience..one dealership (my local Mikes Famous) told me there was no such warrant fix, all out of my pocket.
Another dealership told me yes the moco will warranty it...they will replace the bearings twice, for just 100 bucks out of your pocket..on the 3rd shot they will do what's called the "full monty fix"...which replaces the inner and outer primary case, I think tranny case too. Important part here...you now get the cases with the alignment dowels. The 06 models tried going without alignment dowels...which could cause some stress on the IPB...hence higher rate of failure.

My bike had been making the classic IPB failure sound since I picked it up last year. I still rode with it. One day she started making a horrible noise on me, I crawled back home...went to a buds house that runs a shop out of his garage. Took it apart....the stator/rotor assembly had barfed..the mounting bolts came out and chewed it up. While she was apart..I figured..hey, lets do the IPB. So we put a Baker IPB in. Didn't last long..I didn't like the noise, and it leaked a little. So I went over there..we broke it down again..and put an '07 IPB in.

Holding both the Baker IPB in my hands..and the 07 IPB...I actually liked the '07 IPB better, felt beefier. Been fine since.

..and now my front motor mount is vibrating hard.....next project...time to pull it out and shave that leading edge of rubber down a bit...lol.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
There is a LOT of info on this..do a search of the forums...there are 3 or so threads here which are VERY long and have pages and pages of contributions from many members here over the years with their experiences.

My experience..one dealership (my local Mikes Famous) told me there was no such warrant fix, all out of my pocket.
Another dealership told me yes the moco will warranty it...they will replace the bearings twice, for just 100 bucks out of your pocket..on the 3rd shot they will do what's called the "full monty fix"...which replaces the inner and outer primary case, I think tranny case too. Important part here...you now get the cases with the alignment dowels. The 06 models tried going without alignment dowels...which could cause some stress on the IPB...hence higher rate of failure.

My bike had been making the classic IPB failure sound since I picked it up last year. I still rode with it. One day she started making a horrible noise on me, I crawled back home...went to a buds house that runs a shop out of his garage. Took it apart....the stator/rotor assembly had barfed..the mounting bolts came out and chewed it up. While she was apart..I figured..hey, lets do the IPB. So we put a Baker IPB in. Didn't last long..I didn't like the noise, and it leaked a little. So I went over there..we broke it down again..and put an '07 IPB in.

Holding both the Baker IPB in my hands..and the 07 IPB...I actually liked the '07 IPB better, felt beefier. Been fine since.

..and now my front motor mount is vibrating hard.....next project...time to pull it out and shave that leading edge of rubber down a bit...lol.

That's everything I needed to know right there in one post....thanks bro!!