Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter include solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starter include solenoid?

Please forgive my ignorance, but does the Harley Dyna starter come with the solenoid? I think I need a new starter, but wondering if just the solenoid would help, or if I should just bite the bullet and spend the $429 for the new Harley starter... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

Yes new starter has everything. I would not give give harley $429 for a starter though.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dsiltman
Yes new starter has everything. I would not give give harley $429 for a starter though.
Thanks. Any advice on where to get one and available pricing?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

I got mine at J & P cycles.com they start at a little over 200 and go up from there. I got a twin power from them and I have had no problems.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

I got mine at J & P cycles.com they start at a little over 200 and go up from there. I got a twin power from them and I have had no problems.
Thanks again! I see that Twin Power has a 2.0 kW starter. Harley's high performance is a 1.4 kW starter. Would the 2.0 kW cause any issues like killing the battery?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to figure out why a 2009 Harley needs a new starter already... what are the symptoms that lead you to believe your starter or solenoid is bad already. Also, starters can be rebuilt for pennies compared to a new part. Check the Yellow pages for a starter / alternator shop. Doesn't have to be specific motorcycle. Cost me $35 to have a Toyota high torque Starter rebuilt because I couldn't find a brush kit. New Toy starter $485.00

Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 PM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Originally Posted by clicker01
I'm trying to figure out why a 2009 Harley needs a new starter already... what are the symptoms that lead you to believe your starter or solenoid is bad already. Also, starters can be rebuilt for pennies compared to a new part. Check the Yellow pages for a starter / alternator shop. Doesn't have to be specific motorcycle. Cost me $35 to have a Toyota high torque Starter rebuilt because I couldn't find a brush kit. New Toy starter $485.00
Very interesting... I do want to get out of this as cheaply as I can.

I know, right? A 2009 with 6,000 miles and a bad starter already! I guess I cannot say for sure, and I'm not a mechanic, but I have two good friends who are very trustworthy mechanics who believe this is the case. The symptoms are that once hot, it will not turn over very easily and I get a lot of grinding sounds.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 AM
dsiltman
Cruiser

Your starter is still in a fixable state probably fairly cheap. I had the same problem you did only my motor kicked back and tore the drive out of my starter as well so I put a 1.4 KW in and use the stock one for a paper wieght.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
JT-FXDL
Road Captain

Your starter is still in a fixable state probably fairly cheap. I had the same problem you did only my motor kicked back and tore the drive out of my starter as well so I put a 1.4 KW in and use the stock one for a paper wieght.
Again, interesting. But when my starter does work, it really seems to be struggling. For a while I thought my battery was bad, which it is not; it's charged and maintained with a tender, and all cables good, clean, & tight. I get grinding, sputtering, and even backfiring. I'm so tired of dealing with that, I am wondering if the 1.4 kW would end all that. I can't help but think that repairing this one would only be a temporary fix. Opinions?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 AM
dsiltman
Cruiser

I think the stock starter is a 1.2 KW thats why I did not mess with it. I am happy with the 1.4 it starts better than it ever did with stock.

Quick Reply: Starter include solenoid?