Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine guard W/ Forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Rockhanger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine guard W/ Forward controls

I would like to install forward controls on my 2003 Lowrider. Has anyone done this with an engine guard?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I rented a Fat Bob that had both, all I can say after a weekend and 500+ miles on it is that I would never own a bike with an engine guard. It was a pain because of the way I like to stretch out, it just did not work for my riding style.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny thing about the engine guard. If you drop the bike it protects the engine but bends the frame. The bent frame will surely total loss the bike. I took mine off and sold it.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockhanger
I would like to install forward controls on my 2003 Lowrider. Has anyone done this with an engine guard?
As far as I know there's no H-D engine guard available for 2005 and earlier dyna models using fwd control kits.

More info to be found using this link.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
MIKEKIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an engine guard with highway pegs and forward controls on my 2011 Wide Glide and I love it.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by AeroMike
I have an engine guard with highway pegs and forward controls on my 2011 Wide Glide and I love it.

Same here but I have a 2010 Street Bob, I love the extra footing position for that longer ride when I need to stretch out. I use my forward controls for putting around town and the highway pegs on longer stretched rides.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I do not understand how the engine gives you any more stretch than forwards do, I simply lay the back of my ankle across the top of the foot peg and I am stretched out all I could hope for.
You can position your feet in several positions on a forward foot peg, you don't have to keep your foot planted on it.

Personally I think all these extra pegs and bars ruin the lines of what is otherwise a beautiful bike. But to each their own I guess.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I do not understand how the engine gives you any more stretch than forwards do, I simply lay the back of my ankle across the top of the foot peg and I am stretched out all I could hope for.
You can position your feet in several positions on a forward foot peg, you don't have to keep your foot planted on it.

Personally I think all these extra pegs and bars ruin the lines of what is otherwise a beautiful bike. But to each their own I guess.
Well the thing for me was when I upgraded my seat that I have now, it is the new touring seat with a back rest for the rider that Harley released for the Dyna. The position moved me up some on the bike and my legs went from somewhat stretched to more of a stock feel. The position that I have the highway pegs set put my feet further out and more in the stretched position that they were at before the seat upgrade. It also rests my feet at a slightly elevated position and makes me stay more upright while riding. I have tried out the way that you are talking about with the backs of my ankle area on the peg. It gives me the full stretch but brings on my lower back pain while riding. I needed the new seat because I was having alot of lower back pain while riding which I just found out I have a herniated disc in my lower back. So I need the back rest to support my lower back area while riding to help with the pain. The look of the engine guard and pegs are growing on me now. But I am more of a comfort person to looks. I would rather be comfortable and ride then look cooler and not as comfortable on longer rides. Don't get me wrong looks still play a factor to me but comforts def. takes priority in this case. Riding with back pain from the herniated disc when it is flared up and on the nerve, really sucks! So anything I can do to ride longer I will do because I love riding and don't want to give it up. To each there own as you said

Old 10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog

Here - here I agree

Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rockhanger
Have you found any helpful info since asking the question? I see a few answer-posts that aren't relevant to your question on a '03 FXDL, but no specific help.

Quick Reply: Engine guard W/ Forward controls