Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin cam 88 cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin cam 88 cam bearings

Well i tore into the 88 this morning and it seems to be the outer cam brgs. are the ones with the problem.

but more concerning to me is the wear on the end of the crank which rides in the bushing in
the cam plate and correct me if i`m wrong but that bushing seals up the crank so the pump can supply oil to the main bearings?

Last edited by djack; 12-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. I'm planning on changing cams and dumping the tensioners for the upgraded oil pump assembly myself. Will be interesting to see what others have to offer in the way of useful info..

Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I can't tell in the pic but can you feel the polished marks with your fingernail. If not your ok.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

That far into it you might want to check your crank run-out while you're at it.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 PM
djack
Road Master

soft 02, yes you can feel them, i`ve thought about polishing them down, i have`nt found a spec. for the clearance between the crank and the busing.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

The pinion looks ugly, but I dont think your dead yet. go ahead and polish it up with some fine emery cloth and clean it up real good, then check it again. If you do decide to use the crank as is, either replace the bushing or upgrade the cam plate. You will have a loss in oil pressure, no matter which way you go. If you upgrade the cam plate, the loss will be negated by the higher volume from the larger oil pump.

As far as runout, check the wear on the pinion and see if its 360° and not only on one side. If its lopsided, consider replacing the crank.

With that said, if your not running a high power motor, you can get away with patching it back together without too much concern. If you took the bike to a shop (indy or dealer) and they saw this, I will guarantee they will tell you the crank is bad. Cranks are big money, no matter who you are.

Also, I see the significant wear is on one land and not both. That gives me the impression the pump sucked up a little garbage and spit it out. You might want to consider dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
djack
Road Master

kk6pg, good thoughts,yea thats why i tore it down it was gettin noisey so i figured tensioners and or bearings and i was able to get the new updated plate and pump on ebay for a good price still in the box.

I was surprised to see the inner bearings were fine, it was the outer bearings were bad.

This was my dads bike who is no longer with us so i just want keep it and keep it running
its not my primary bike so it won`t see alot of use.

I don`t want to tottally cobble it together but i don`t want to put a fortune in it either.

its got 50,000 miles on it and still ran good, i`m thinking he had the bearins and or tensioners changed before but i really dont know.

thank-you for your advice and thoughts

Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
djack
Road Master

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I'm not sure I understand "dumping the tensioners for the upgraded oil pump" portion. How does one affect the other?
because with the plate upgrade the tensioners are hydraulic like the 96in. not springloaded plus the higher volume pump, i believe is the purpose sc longhair

Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sucherman
Thanks for the post. I'm planning on changing cams and dumping the tensioners for the upgraded oil pump assembly myself. Will be interesting to see what others have to offer in the way of useful info..
I'm not sure I understand "dumping the tensioners for the upgraded oil pump" portion. How does one affect the other?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

So, the 2011's are having problems with the outer bearings? I thought the 11's had 96"
engines in them. Wouldn't your bike been under warranty, then when the dealer opened it it's on their dime. Just a bit confused here.

Quick Reply: twin cam 88 cam bearings