Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skull Crush helmets-any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM
coachstorms
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try that 3/4 NOVDOT that Lick's sells, everyone i know that has one loves it.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Neither will the actual DOT helmets because most claim compliance, only a few are tested, and many of those fail when tested.
DOT is minimum. Snell helmets must be submitted and tested to get Snell approval.

That's why even at the Wednesday night drags for 13.99 & faster cars must have Snell approved helmets. DOT doesn't cut it in any racing series.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 11-07-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
HeyYou
Cruiser

http://jalopnik.com/dexter-ford

Not sure I'd want a SNELL helmet after reading this.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HeyYou
http://jalopnik.com/dexter-ford

Not sure I'd want a SNELL helmet after reading this.
Do you wear a XS/S M2005 SNELL?

As stated, the M2010 standard made revisions.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
Am I the only one who thinks Skull Crush is a horrible name for something thats supposed to protect your skull?
Your not alone. Every time I see the ad at the top of the page I shake my head.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
Your not alone. Every time I see the ad at the top of the page I shake my head.
+1 On that

Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Do you wear a XS/S M2005 SNELL?

As stated, the M2010 standard made revisions.
No, but I'm an engineer by profession, and the fact that SNELL 2005 was allowed out of the lab is indicative is a systemic failure.

In other words, the people responsible for that SNELL standard are idiots and borderline criminally negligent. Might as well put a "Sesame Street" sticker on it - it carries the same weight.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dondee
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good helmet that won't emphasize my already way huge melon any more than it already is. Although my head only measures 25" around about the only helmets I can squeeze on are HJC XXX's, and then it looks like a bowling ball sitting on top of another bowling ball. You get the picture.

Anyway the Skull Crush helmets are not actually DOT but the reps do everything but come out and say they're really better than DOT. I was thinking about a 3/4 which they say comes with 3 different size pad sets so it fits anybody.

Anybody know anything about Skull Crush?
Here is a picture of me in one of their 3/4 lids. I also have a really big head (7 5/8 in a fitted hat). Mine came with all kinds of customizable padding. It will fit you but be warned that they are nothing more than a really high quality novelty helmet. They are not the same as a real helmet no matter what anyone claims. The inside is memory foam which is comfortable but probably isn't going to save your melon. As long as you know that going in, you will probably like the helmet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 PM
TokyoEvilTwin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greatscott
be warned that they are nothing more than a really high quality novelty helmet. They are not the same as a real helmet no matter what anyone claims. The inside is memory foam which is comfortable but probably isn't going to save your melon.
Spot on. Helmet shells aren't the high tech end of helmet design - a quality helmet has two layers of foam, one quick compress and one slow compress, between the shell and the breathable padding that actually contacts your noggin. The quick compress layer, the layer closest to the shell, is the one that does most of the work in absorbing initial impact, with the secondary layer taking up the remainder of the impact forces.

Icon, Shoei, Arai, OGK, Simpson and Bell. These are names you can trust to keep your brains unscrambled.

... and seriously - who names a helmet "Skull Crush"? I mean, that's exactly what's gonna happen if you crack up wearing one, but they couldn't find a better marketing guy to help with the name?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No, but I'm an engineer by profession, and the fact that SNELL 2005 was allowed out of the lab is indicative is a systemic failure.

In other words, the people responsible for that SNELL standard are idiots and borderline criminally negligent. Might as well put a "Sesame Street" sticker on it - it carries the same weight.
Hmmm interesting conclusion coming from an engineer.

And I find it interesting this "known" deficiency hasn't prompted a safety recall or lawsuit. And is there actual data the small sizes are too hard? Or just speculation it's "too hard" because the M2010 standard changed. And none of the helmet manufacturers, who know what their doing, didn't petition Snell for a revision?

In the meantime Snell has helped saved numerous lives for decades.

Quick Reply: Skull Crush helmets-any experience?