Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skull Crush helmets-any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
babyray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the guy asked about skull crush helmets?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 AM
h2o
Road Captain

Originally Posted by babyray
Me too.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babyray
I did. But you know how these internet threads take on a life of their own and head in all different directions. And actually I'd be happy to hear about any kind of 3/4 in my size that didn't make my helmeted noggin look like a basketball on 'roids.

Hey greatscott, thanks for posting the pic and also for your opinion. As far as your 7-5/8 melon being "big", uh how 'bout 8+ ?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Doctrey
Tourer

Originally Posted by dondee
I did. But you know how these internet threads take on a life of their own and head in all different directions. And actually I'd be happy to hear about any kind of 3/4 in my size that didn't make my helmeted noggin look like a basketball on 'roids.

Hey greatscott, thanks for posting the pic and also for your opinion. As far as your 7-5/8 melon being "big", uh how 'bout 8+ ?
HOLY S#@T! My buddy wears a Bell flat black 3/4 and loves it. Here in Texas, we don't HAVE to wear one, but I am seriously considering grabbing a decent lid. I like the look of the NOV-DOTs from Licks, but I also have a large gourd and am worried it will make my head look like a large *****. I'll be following this thread intently.....

Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Nivekian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BluBob
I like how their webpage says "No, we are not the company ACC that went out of business years ago and we never have been."

Yet the phone number they give was also listed on head trip helmets (ACC, Carbonfiberhelmets, scumbags) website. Not the brightest bunch. I would never buy a helmet - or any other product - from any company that was a part of that ACC scam.

My gut tells me it is probably not the same company in a legal sense, but I'll also bet those helmets are the same as what ACC was selling. Half shell, Polo, and German, just like ACC. And they added a 3/4. Website also says the shells are made in Florida, same as ACC was.

http://www.headtriphelmets.com/dealers1.html
So, whats the deal with these ACC helmets? Is it just that they called them DOT when they are not? I wear novelty German (Florida), and personally the DOT Helmets don't feel like they offer anymore protection outside of 1" of foam. But broke down and got a B-17 Bell helmet, even though it feels like it sits on top of my head instead of enveloping it like a protective Helmet should.

Personally, I deal with resins, plastics, & foams all the time, and I have heard from more than a few people that have experience making helmets & protective gear that DOT motorcycle helmets are still spec'ed to 1970's standards and construction. Unless you "pay extra" for the tag, which some companies do, but it still has to meet the appearence of looking DOT. The whole Helmet thing confuses me to this day, and my gut tells me in an "Oh S#!t" situation luck has more to do with how well the helmet protects you than some possibly outdated DOT spec's.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just go Snell. Many, especially those who track their bikes, don't even consider DOT. All Snells are also DOT. Not all DOTs are Snell.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dondee

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-16-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM
reclaimer53
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wear the helmet skiing or playing Hockey. It is not a real helmet for motorcycle riding. you might as just wear no helmet as it is not going to protect you.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Skull Crush video would be MUCH MORE impressive if they placed a cantaloupe, musk melon or a Honey Dew melon in the helmet BEFORE they drove a SUV over it.

Wouldn't it?

Just my 2¢

Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nivekian
So, whats the deal with these ACC helmets? Is it just that they called them DOT when they are not? ......... The whole Helmet thing confuses me to this day, and my gut tells me in an "Oh S#!t" situation luck has more to do with how well the helmet protects you than some possibly outdated DOT spec's.
The deal with ACC is this:
1. They sold helmets as "DOT compliant"
2. When the helmets were tested, they did not pass DOT standards.
3. They were mandated to recall the helmets and reimburse customers.
4. They strung people along by telling them they would mail them a shipping label in a few days or weeks, then when the label never showed and customers tried contacting them POOF, they were gone.

Bottom line - They sold novelty helmets at $165 a pop by representing them as DOT compliant. They never were DOT compliant, and when this was exposed, they screwed the customer with the run around so they would not have to issue refunds.

All you could ever care to read about this issue is in this thread:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...et-recall.html

As for luck, I group it in with hope, and try to plan with the axiom in mind of "hope is not a valid strategy."

Last edited by BluBob; 11-19-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Skull Crush helmets-any experience?