Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fat bob bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fat bob bars

I'm driving myself nuts looking at different bars i can put on my fat bob. i really like the drag bars but want them a little closer and a little higher. thinking about carlini 9in clean sweeps or just the 9in t bars. wondering if anyone else has changed there fat bob bars out to something like this and how they like them. just want some feedback. the stock bars just leave me leaning a little bit more forward than i am comfortable with.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
that_guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pullback risers might be a cheaper option too

Old 10-16-2011, 05:30 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Pullback risers might be a cheaper option too
Risers would probably be cheaper and there are many different styles and sizes. I went with 8" straight risers on mine but you can get them with pullback also. You probably would need new cables over 8" also. My clutch cable is tight when I turn all the way to the side.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at spacerjim.com. He sells 2" spacers that do just that - move your stock bars up and back just a little. Only $50 and great quality. You can use your stock cables, but it's a little tight.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how about the current stock wideglide handlebars. I really like the look and location of them. The wideglide uses the same riser as the fatbob. Your stock cables and wires will work too.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
mcr5593
Novice
Default Carlini Drag Bars

I'm in the process of changing my stock FXDF bars out as well. I wanted to achieve about 2" up and 2" back from the stock setup so that I could better take advantage of the drivers backrest on my Mustang Vintage Seat.

As with everyone else, I'm trying to balance form and function. So I ordered some Carlini 7" rise / 7" pull back, Original T-Bars in 1.5" diameter.

In terms of form, I really like the look of these bars. The thicker bars look sweet...I don't think I want to go back to the 1.25" after seeing these.

In terms of function, the rise probably came up about 1.5 from stock, but the pull back didn't change. Reason is, the bars themselves do not angle back as sharply as the original FXDF bars. You can see this in my pictures by looking at my hand position: My wrist are more flat. You can also see from the angle of my back that the pull back didn't increase.

So, I'm thinking of going to the 9" rise. According to Carlini's website, going from the 7" to the 9" rise, you gain .5" of pullback in the bars themselves. However, combining the 2" additional rise with the rake in the front end, I think will add another 1 to 1.5" of pull back to the .5" built into the bars themselves.

I'm going to call Carlini and see if I can work a deal where I can get the 9" rise bars sent to me so I can decide whether I want to return the 7" or the 9" bars. If you return a bar you pay a significant restocking fee, but if you exchange bars, the fee is waived.

I was also thinking of picking of HDs 6" curved pull back riser and keeping the stock bar. However, I really dig the 1.5 diameter now that I've seen it.

Attached Thumbnails fat bob bars-img_0001.jpg   fat bob bars-img_0002.jpg   fat bob bars-img_0005.jpg   fat bob bars-img_0006.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Fat-Bob-Brad
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcr5593
I'm in the process of changing my stock FXDF bars out as well. I wanted to achieve about 2" up and 2" back from the stock setup so that I could better take advantage of the drivers backrest on my Mustang Vintage Seat.

As with everyone else, I'm trying to balance form and function. So I ordered some Carlini 7" rise / 7" pull back, Original T-Bars in 1.5" diameter.

In terms of form, I really like the look of these bars. The thicker bars look sweet...I don't think I want to go back to the 1.25" after seeing these.

In terms of function, the rise probably came up about 1.5 from stock, but the pull back didn't change. Reason is, the bars themselves do not angle back as sharply as the original FXDF bars. You can see this in my pictures by looking at my hand position: My wrist are more flat. You can also see from the angle of my back that the pull back didn't increase.

So, I'm thinking of going to the 9" rise. According to Carlini's website, going from the 7" to the 9" rise, you gain .5" of pullback in the bars themselves. However, combining the 2" additional rise with the rake in the front end, I think will add another 1 to 1.5" of pull back to the .5" built into the bars themselves.

I'm going to call Carlini and see if I can work a deal where I can get the 9" rise bars sent to me so I can decide whether I want to return the 7" or the 9" bars. If you return a bar you pay a significant restocking fee, but if you exchange bars, the fee is waived.

I was also thinking of picking of HDs 6" curved pull back riser and keeping the stock bar. However, I really dig the 1.5 diameter now that I've seen it.
Sorry the more i look the more i cant get over your trousers nothing like some individual style

Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
mcr5593
Novice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fat-Bob-Brad
Sorry the more i look the more i cant get over your trousers nothing like some individual style
Haha, yeah those are way more functions than form. Found them in the HD Catalog.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i ended up going with 13 in 1 1 1/4 gansters. i first bought the 10 in evil apes which were nice with the 1 1/2 diamond risers. but i realized that they were perfect with my stock risers which made them 16 inches so i sent them back for the apes. pullback is about the same but straightening up the back is a winner for me.

Attached Thumbnails fat bob bars-1324662073916.jpg   fat bob bars-1324662136599.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 AM
mcr5593
Novice
Default Carlini 9" rise Original Drag Bars

Even though kmontague has choose his bars, I wanted to keep this thread going for anyone who is researching these.

I came home from work yesterday and the Carlini 9" Original Drag Bars were at my front door. I returned the 7" rise bars about a week ago in exchange for these. As I said in my earlier post, I was hoping to have Carlini send me the 9" without me sending back the 7s so that I could choose which bar I liked best, but Carlini told me they would not do that without charging me the restocking fee. Bummer. Also, Carlini did charge me shipping again for these bars ($25). Double bummer.

So I attached some pictures that are from the same view point as those above so you can see the position of the bars on the bike.

Height: From the ground to the end of the bar, stock bars measured 43", 7" rise measured 44 1/4, and the 9" rise are 44 3/4. So I pretty much gained the 2" rise that I was after.

Pullback: It's difficult to tell measurements for pullback, but you can make your own assessment from the pictures. I will say though, that even if the bars didn't come back 2 inches, it feels like they did because my arms are now level and not angled downwards. Now I should be able to get full use from my detachable backrest on longer rides.

Cables: I can already tell I'm going to have to replace every cable on the bike. Someone mentioned to me that I can just extend the throttle/idle cables? Does anyone know about this and can give me some info on the process?

Style: I still like the look. I think the 7s did look better, but these are still 1.5" diameter and they look nice. Maybe in the future I will look into a tank lift to balance it out. I saw the tank lifts on here from Jackyl (spelling?) and it looked solid. I may do business with you in the future.

When I get it all back together, I'll share some photos.

Here's a tip. Because the Carlini bars have such small holes for the internal wiring, I had to completely take apart the signal wire connectors till I was down to nothing but just wires. I used a set of dental picks to do the job and it worked awesome. Initially I tried using a needle (I stabbed myself), then I tried using a paperclip (it bent) and then I thought of the dental picks and the job was cake.

Attached Thumbnails fat bob bars-img_0024.jpg   fat bob bars-img_0021.jpg  

Quick Reply: fat bob bars