Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Vibration Problem

I had alot of vib. problems and got almost all of it fixed with the following.

I used the link that helix gave you for the motor mount spacer (and believe this or not, the harley dealer here in town actually put it in, I told them about it and that I was going to do it and the next thing I know, it is in, go figure)
I also had the old injectors (faulty ones) and had the 24s put in.
Then I got a power commander installed and had the bike dynoed. I feel the dyno was not done right but the bike does not have as much of the vibs it did, now it is I feel where it should be. At least I can get on the freeway and the pegs do not put my feet asleep from the vibs.

Good luck in what you choose to do.

Jeff

Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 PM
ss377
Road Captain

I put 47K on a 1200 sportster in 4 years so I have experienced a little vibration. I traded the sportster in on an 06 St Bob. I thought the dyna had too much vibration. I could see better out of the sportster mirrors. The dyna's mirrors were so bad at highway speed (60 mph in 5th) that a bike behind me looked like a car. My front fender also cracked at about 5K and I rode another 5K waiting for a replacement fender. My service manager suggested replacing the motor mounts. A replacement fender was put on at the 10K service and the motor mounts replace at about 12K, all under warranty. Now with over 13K, the fender is doing well, the vibration was cut in half. I still have miror ghost but it is livable.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:49 PM
bankerron
Cruiser

I have had just the opposite result. I couldn't see a thing out of my Sporters mirrors because it was shaking so bad. My Wide Glide vibrates but just like a Harley should.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
docsg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rkillpartrick

Howdy,

I own a 2006 Dyna Super Glide and having a vibration issue with it. Since buying the bike the front head light came loose so the dealer replaced the back shell. At about 2000 miles the front fender cracked at the rivets. The bike now has 5000mi on it and the second fender is starting to crack in the same place. I feel the bike has an excessive vibration issue with it. I took it back to the dealer and a factory rep took it for a ride and said everything seemed to operating fine. I feel the vibration exist all the way through the gears but smooths out a little better at higher rpm's. I also have ghosting going on in the mirrors at all speeds. This is my first Harley and other experienced riders tell me the Dynas vibrate at idle but should smooth out once the bike starts moving and definately should not have ghosting going on in the mirros. The only changes I made to the bike was installing screaming eagle pipes and air filter, all done through the dealer, yes the fuel remap was done also. This was done at about 3000mi and I feel the vibration is a little less evident, but not much. Does anyone have ideas, advise, or similar problems?

Thanks
Russ
I had the same problem with my 05' FXDLI. It buzzed me at almost any RPM and/or speed. At 1K the dealer said to give it a little time to break-in. I took it back at 2.5K and told them them that "this sucks and is not normal." It was my second FXDL (first was an 01') so I had something to compare it too. The dealer said to leave the bike with them as the MotoCo said there was some issues with some of the Dynas and they would totally check it out. They went through a 10 point check recommended by the factory that included changing the motor mounts. They then called me and said that nothing reduced the vibration to any extent and they wanted the regional rep to look at it. They then called back and said he authorized a new engine as evidently the original engine had an out of balance flywheel (?). It took a month but I got my bike back (with the new engine) and they told me to take it for a test ride. They said if I wasn't satisfied I could trade it in for the 06' (which was now in the showroom) at their cost however I would have lost major $$$ due to the fact that many of the 05' accessories wouldn't swap over to the 06', such as the detactable back rest, pipes, etc. Anyway, I rode the bike for 50 miles in the dealer's area and was well pleased with the difference. That was 8K ago and I plan to keep this scoot for a while. Is it vibration free--no! Are my mirrors clear at all rpms--no. But now it is fun to ride and I don't really notice the vibration all that much. I tell you all this to say--hold your ground and make them do what's right. Luckily, my dealer was in my corner and did all they could to right the situation.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine had the upper mount bolts that bolt to the jugs vibrate loose and each one took 3/4 turn with a box wrench........80% of the vibration was gone........check those first.......real easy and free.......

Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

A couple weeks ago I was checking out the top mount and noticed that the link was not parallal to the mounting bolts. It was at an angle and pulling the cones inside the eyes about to the limit of the absorbing material inbetween. I lifted the bike so it was level and loosened the bolts and added some spacers to both ends so link would be parallal to bolts and not pulled at an angle when tightened. (while at it adjusted the link a little per manual instructions so bolt lined right up with nut in bracket to heads with out having to push or pull engine over). Result was noticable decrease in vibration, not night and day, but noticable. The eyes in the links now have all the material around them for absorbing the vibes, same principle as shimming front motor mounts that are off.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine has developed excessive vibration a couple of times and both times were motormount issues. One loose after my 95in build, one broken after i had recently had it dyno'd. Do i know for sure it occured during the dyno, no but the timing was interesting. Adjustment/replacement usually brings it back to a normal vibration. In both cases i don't think it was moco or design issue.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 PM
snackdog
Intermediate

My front headlight on my 07 Street Bob has started vibrarting -- I tried to tighten it up but no luck. It is going to the dealer on Aug 1 for 1000 mile maintenance.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

check your mounts dude

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had vibration on my 06 SG. Several posts in the forum.

I finally got the front motor mount changed. BIG DIFFERENCE!! Mirrors no longer vibrated. Was able to read road signs in my mirrors. That annoying "weed-eater" buzz was gone. Lasted about 750 miles and the vibration returned. Had a HD tech rep ride the bike and he says it is within spec. BS!!

After reading the forum post about the front motor mount being loaded by tightening it down and using shims to reduce the preload, that is my next try. Also, get an independent wrench to check out your bike. He has no beef about trying to fix your problem. The HD wrenches try to do as little as possible.

Quick Reply: Dyna Vibration Problem