Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM
backpains
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Vibration Problem

wow.. i can't tell you how upseti am with this terrible vibration my bike has 289 mi. don't even want to ride . I feel like i got beat from Hd . My sportster was nowhere near as bad. Im going to check my mounts in the morning . Need some help or advice ..

Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Excellent post.
Cheers,Graham.[quote]ORIGINAL: TimDynaBob

All,

I too have had and still do experience vibration issues with my 07 Street Bob.

I have been on the education road ever since. Reading as much as I can get my hands on about Harleys; American Iron, the forums, recall information, etc.

My issue was really centered around excess vibrations in the footpegs when decelerating with a load (riding 2-up). I will say that my local service manager took what I had to say as gospel, test rode it at my 1K check-up, but could not feel anything abnormal.

I didn't give up, sited the many issues with faulty, broken, or misaligned motor mounts and he said to bring it back in. Again they test rode it under load, and felt some vibrations this time as I had described. They began the process of shimming the front motor mount, but found the mount itself trashed upon inspection. They (said) they replaced it. I was so grateful that I never asked to see the old one....I should have. The difference riding 2 up was noticable - the vibrations at decel were essentially gone or well-dampened. However, a turn or two of a wrench could have achieved the same result. My continued education does tell me that many (not all) HD dealers try to maximize income and minimize actual work. For those who get things "replaced" then eventually feel those vibrations they thought were fixed return...what does that tell you?

Anyway, my front mount was "replaced"200 miles or so ago. Lately I can feel different vibrations developing when riding solo - mostly at low rpm's and parade-type constant speeds. I always and still do feel vibes at idle - bars vibrate noticably, and anything in the mirrors is ghosted. But once I place my hands on the grips, 50% of it goes away, just by weight being placed on them...and some transferring to my arms of course.

After I start off and reach a comfortable rpm/speed, all seems steady, however I don't understand those who say their mirrors are clear and they can read road signs. At 65mph and above, the wind alone places enough force on the mirrors so that slight ghosting is apparent, and road signs are tough to read - nothing to do with vibration of the bike...just the wind!!!

I notice sometimes that when I decel faster than normal, as the engine rpm's wind down to that point "just before idle" there is a vibration felt through the frame/pegs, etc. Is there another motor mount trashed? Loose? It may just be the personality of the bike - Harleys more than any other bike have personalities all their own.

I guess what I am really trying to say here is that Harley Davidsons are not designed or manufactred to be tight-toleranced, smooth glidingmachines. They are manufactured to maximize a "feel"...that "harley feel" which is NOT in any way, shape, or form like the ride of any other brand of motorcycle - foreign or domestic. They are also manufactured to maximize performance now in this 21st century as well. The marriage of the two don't always end up hand in hand! The introduction of the 96 and the 6-speed have their own design flaws.

Vibrations at idle - exist on just about EVERYsingle Harley model I have ever ridden, seen, or read about. That being the case, I think common sense would tell you that at various rpm's and speeds, rubber-mounted engines (such as the Dynas) are going to present engine vibrations that are as haphazard as the associated riding conditions with which they are presented.

Take any Dyna and ride it at 60 degrees outside temp, with low humidity, at highway speeds (60-80 mph). Now take the very same bike and ride it at 90 degrees outside temp, with 80% humidity, at back roads speed (40-50 mph). I can guarantee that the same bike will ride and feel somewhat different in each case. Vibrations at different speeds, different accelerations, and decelerations will be evident. Maybe in case one, the vibrations at the foot pegs at 30 mph will be maximu

Old 10-13-2007, 07:49 AM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

ORIGINAL: backpains

wow.. i can't tell you how upseti am with this terrible vibration my bike has 289 mi. don't even want to ride . I feel like i got beat from Hd . My sportster was nowhere near as bad. Im going to check my mounts in the morning . Need some help or advice ..
Have you complained to your dealer?

Old 10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Black Bob
Cruiser

I was very pleased with the vibration damping of the rubber mounted dyna when I first got it - I wanted to feel some of the v-twin vibration - that's why I bought a Harley. However, just recently I've noticed a 'looser' feeling through the pegs, just off idle and usually on decel, that I never noticed before. Checked all fasteners, mounts, etc. and can't find anything obvious there (and engine continues to run great so...) These things can drive ya nuts...

Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 PM
lesgoff
Stage IV

Has anyone tried installing the Balance Masters’ engine and clutch dampeners to reduce the vibrations on a 2006 or 2007 Dyna?

There is an article in Hot Rod about this.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/balance_masters_engine_clutch_dampeners/

Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dan B

Got a 06 sg myself.
Mine also had lots of vibrations from start (foot vibrated of the peg).

With some adjustments to the VE and timing tabels the bike runs really smooth now.
IMHO a good tuning/some tuning can really transform the bike. The SE race tuner is one of the best "tools" I´ve bought for the bike.

/Dan
Exactly !!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimDynaBob
....All that now being said, if you are cracking fenders or loosening up items bolted to the bike, you likely have a real problem. It could be motor mounts, engine tuning, or other various things, butrepairing them is a must, and HD needs to recognize their own shortcomings and come forward to repair them at any cost, in order to maintain survival and the success they have come to know.....
I sincerely hope that Harley-Davidson has someone reading this forum. Their products should be for anyone who can ride, not just for ace mechanics.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

I have a 07 street bob. Three weeks ago the front isolator went bad. It was fixxed under warranty. It had a buzzy vibration like my 1200 sporty has. When I took it back I was told that is how dynas are. It got worse. I took it back again and explained it never did that for the 2000mi. I rode it before the motor mount went bad. They tore it apart and found nothing but corrupt fuel mapping. Thay said it was much better. I do not know what the harley mechanics ride but they must ride crap because my bike had a ton more power but shook bad. My feet and hands would tingle for 20 min. after a ride. I fixed it with the shims. It is great now. I plan on going back to let the harley know it all ride it so he knows how they are. It is incredible how big an *** they can be. Where do these wrenches learn to work on bikes, or was I getting played till the warranty was up? Thanks for the fix, I was about to sell it and get the other american bike. I love my bike again!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rnemhrd
I have a 07 street bob. Three weeks ago the front isolator went bad. It was fixxed under warranty. It had a buzzy vibration like my 1200 sporty has. When I took it back I was told that is how dynas are. It got worse. I took it back again and explained it never did that for the 2000mi. I rode it before the motor mount went bad. They tore it apart and found nothing but corrupt fuel mapping. Thay said it was much better. I do not know what the harley mechanics ride but they must ride crap because my bike had a ton more power but shook bad. My feet and hands would tingle for 20 min. after a ride. I fixed it with the shims. It is great now. I plan on going back to let the harley know it all ride it so he knows how they are. It is incredible how big an *** they can be. Where do these wrenches learn to work on bikes, or was I getting played till the warranty was up? Thanks for the fix, I was about to sell it and get the other american bike. I love my bike again!
Very similar to my story. Front Isolator replaced under warranty. Ran great for 1000 miles. Took it back. Service manager said front isolator was fine. Took it to an indy. He replaced it and added a shim. I took the isolator back to the service manager and showed her where the motor had been rubbing the isolator so much that there was a groove in the top of the isolator. An isolator is designed to isolate which means to keep from contacting other parts of the bike. She was not happy i called her out but agreed to discuss with her regional harley service rep and see if she could at least get me a new part to replace the bad one. Even though I have a new one I can return the replacement part and get some of my money back.

So anyway vibes have improved but I'm still getting a buzz at 50mph and 65mph at high rpms. I pulled the plugs and showed them to the indy. He says the bike is running way lean. So i'm going back to the Harley Dealer cause they did the dyno tune (sert) when I did my stage one AC and Bassani 2:1 Exhaust.

My bike has run great before so I know how it is supposed to run. I hope they can get it right. I'm getting tired of the BS.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

You would think they would get it right. These are supposed to be great american products. At times I think those cheap chineese scooters you get on the side of the road are more reliable. I'm good till sixth gear. The bike has a rough rumble through it in sixth gear. I have run it fron 75 to 90 and it never smooths out. Every other gear is super smooth now though. I may take it to a different dealer with a better rep. Over an hour away though. Once the warrenty is up HD will never see it again!!!!

Last edited by Rnemhrd; 08-12-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna Vibration Problem