Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip ons vs full exhaust performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything I have ever read and seen tells me a 2 into 1 pipe builds way more power than a 2/2 pipe. A 2/2 isn't any different than stock except the stocker has the crossover for deeper sound.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Graybeard47
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PerryRoss,
Very good article, thanks for posting this.
Graybeard

Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Everything I have ever read and seen tells me a 2 into 1 pipe builds way more power than a 2/2 pipe. A 2/2 isn't any different than stock except the stocker has the crossover for deeper sound.
Not 'way more' on a stage-1 Dyna.

In my experience, a good 2-2 (e.g. not Short Shots) along with a good A/C and tune will net you about 10% extra HP & TQ. Change to a 2-1 and I think you'd be lucky to find much difference; it will be more dependant on the state of the tune. Might be lucky and find a couple of HP with a 2-1, depending on which one.

When you do a stage-2, a better pipe will help more and same as you do more work on the engine.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I don't get how a restricted stock exhaust is the same as an aftermarket free flowing 2-2. It has a lot more difference than just a crossover. 2-1 exhaust are more of a recent exhaust option. People have been making good power with a 2-2 for years.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

peak numbers are misleading and if you rely on peak numbers your reading the Dyno wrong. A good 2-1 like the fatcat bring the torque range up closer to max throughout the torque curve. While it may only max out a couple ft-lbs higher it is how much closer to max throughout the curve that makes the big difference. The feel in performace on a street bike is the improvement in torque between 2000-4000 rpms. So say at 3000rpm the 2-2 is producing 50% of max torque, the 2-1 may indeed be at 75-80% or more. This is where the feel in performance lies... it is in the change in curve throughout the RPM range not necessarily the max mumbers. A full 2-2 will possibly change the torque curve more than a slipon thus you will feel it more or less depending on the system. One of the best(if not the best) choices for a 2-2 system is the Bassani pro streets. They perform great(although you'll still get more 2-4K torque with a fatcat and some other 2-1 pipes). A short shot may give more max than a slipon but may in fact feel slower to get there because the torque is reduced through the range and does not come on till later due to the systems design.

Last edited by rounder; 11-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely agree that a 2-1 is the way to go, but no way is a 2-2 the sane as stock.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Rush Racing Products
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2:1 is the way to go for performance. You can still expect about 5 hp gain from our slip-ons with the 2.00" baffle, when properly tuned.
-Ryan

Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I love all this 2/2, 2/1 jibber jabber if you baught a HD for performance you baught the wrong brand/bike. The difference you butt dyno will tell you is not much, I agree its fun to get the most out of these beasts and I have done somethings to mine as well and will do more in the future. But I think none of us baught an HD with and all out goal of performance. Go with the pipes you like the looks of you gotta look at them all the time and any full system is going to be better than stock or slip ons, get a good tune and you'll be happy. I donlt like the looks of 2/1 reason I went with 2/2 the minor power difference meant nothing to me. Some guys would would hang a turd around their neck if it was guarenteed they would go faster, me on the other hand would hang no turd around my neck. LMAO

Last edited by WG2011; 11-23-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What I personally gained from my new "bassani" slip on was 2.7 hp and 7.19 lbs. of torque and that is on a stock 103" with 2>1 on stock header pipes but WITH the cat. Just did it last week. In your case you don't have a cat so I don't know how just a slip on would perform. When I had the whole system on without the cat, I'm guessing I obtained double those numbers but didn't get a chart to confirm. Within a couple of weeks I'll be putting the whole system back on (gonna get a chart this time) and will share those numbers if you are still interested. The cat saps a lot of power.

I use to camp at lake puddingstone when we went to raging waters.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Well I wouldn't say that....They do give you the sound and in my case did get rid of the cats. As far as a comparision between the two...You really didn't tell me anything

I assume you have a high flow air filter and your bike is flashed and/or mapped for it.

If so, go ride. IMO you're all set. If you're using your HD to full potential, and I presume you're not (it's HD, not built to race) then I would think about gaining horses.

Go ride dude... Fugetaboutit!!

Quick Reply: slip ons vs full exhaust performance