Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip ons vs full exhaust performance

Old 11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default slip ons vs full exhaust performance

I have a 2011 dyna superglide custom with rush slip ons with 2.25 baffles.
I love the sound, but I remember the dealer telling my slip ons were just for the sound and would do little for performance. How much performance difference is there in a good full exhaust. Keep in mind I do not have the cats so it is free flowing....

The best sound in a full exhaust that I liked was the vance and hines 2-1 pro pipes. Just wondering how much horsepower would I really gain over my current set up.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting take on the subject:
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html
May or may not help.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Slip on don't do ****

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Slip on don't do ****
Well I wouldn't say that....They do give you the sound and in my case did get rid of the cats. As far as a comparision between the two...You really didn't tell me anything

Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I meant was there is 0 power gain to be has. I have the straight shots slip ons but am buying a propipe this weekend.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Cool, can you let me know how the pro pipe is after you install it. Love the sound of that pipe...

You sure it's zero? You would think getting rid of the cats would at least give it a half of horsepower...lol

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go with some free flowing slip-ons a less restrictive AC and some sort of fuel management you can expect to get within 3-4 HP of the same set up with a 2 into 1.I've even heard some say they actually made more HP with the slip-ons than they did with their full system but that is the exception rather than the rule.Now,if you go with a 2 into 2 system all bets are off.I've heard of some making less power than the stock system.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

From everything I've read there is more hp to be gained from a full system. How much more, if any, has a lot to do with the tuning map you're running.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
If you go with some free flowing slip-ons a less restrictive AC and some sort of fuel management you can expect to get within 3-4 HP of the same set up with a 2 into 1.I've even heard some say they actually made more HP with the slip-ons than they did with their full system but that is the exception rather than the rule.Now,if you go with a 2 into 2 system all bets are off.I've heard of some making less power than the stock system.
That is not true. A 2-2 system tends to give up a little torque and mid range over a 2-1, but generally makes a little more HP. You also have to tune or jet to match. If you don't, then you could lose power with either.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I have a 2011 dyna superglide custom with rush slip ons with 2.25 baffles.
I love the sound, but I remember the dealer telling my slip ons were just for the sound and would do little for performance. How much performance difference is there in a good full exhaust. Keep in mind I do not have the cats so it is free flowing....

The best sound in a full exhaust that I liked was the vance and hines 2-1 pro pipes. Just wondering how much horsepower would I really gain over my current set up.
What I personally gained from my new "bassani" slip on was 2.7 hp and 7.19 lbs. of torque and that is on a stock 103" with 2>1 on stock header pipes but WITH the cat. Just did it last week. In your case you don't have a cat so I don't know how just a slip on would perform. When I had the whole system on without the cat, I'm guessing I obtained double those numbers but didn't get a chart to confirm. Within a couple of weeks I'll be putting the whole system back on (gonna get a chart this time) and will share those numbers if you are still interested. The cat saps a lot of power.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slip ons vs full exhaust performance