Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob exhaust swap out help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rush 2.0s will reverb in a full face helmet. The 1.5s do not. Rush 1.75s are in between. Rush 2.0 break the 112 dB federal limit by a little, they are loud. All the Rush have a mellower tone than V&H, however. Samson used to make some crappy quality stuff, dunno about resent efforts.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
jodog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anatomy of the stock muffler

Ok, I've taken the mufflers off and apart. There's a long baffle, like maybe 20", as long as the muffler exterior. As exhaust enters the baffle it hits a solid wall forcing the gases thru the baffle wall, thru five layers of fiberglass wrapped around the baffle, then back into the baffle on the other side of the wall, and then out a small outlet. No wonder it's so quiet.

I am taking the V&H off, putting the stock exhaust back on WITHOUT the fiberglass wrap. I'll see how that sounds. If not acceptable I'll take the baffles out (that will be too loud), and then I'll start to modifying the stock baffles. If I don't get a good result, I'll try the QQ baffles in either the vance and hines or the stock system.

I may have a set of big radius for sale soon.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Before you lose the fiberglass wrap, drill out the "solid wall"

Old 12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
bigbully67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 4 1/2" oval Cycle Shack slip-on's on my Fat Bob and couldn't be happier. Look good and sound great while allowing you to adjust the flow for tuning by bending a tab in the baffle. Top notch all the way around!

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob exhaust swap out help-fat-bob-1.jpg  

Last edited by bigbully67; 12-04-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: image added
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
feguy1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How does one remove the factory baffle? Isn't it welded in?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jodog

I am taking the V&H off, putting the stock exhaust back on WITHOUT the fiberglass wrap. I'll see how that sounds. If not acceptable I'll take the baffles out (that will be too loud), and then I'll start to modifying the stock baffles. If I don't get a good result, I'll try the QQ baffles in either the vance and hines or the stock system.
Over the years many have tried drilling and found the sound less than satisfying (like a lawn mower). Removing the wrap will be worse. Nothing substitutes for a properly designed baffle system. You may want to search the forum for ideas, there was a decent thread maybe a year or so ago.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How does a Rush Baffle fit inside the stock muffler?
The diameter of the stock muffler is larger than the Rush mufflers ...

Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
retxpres
Road Captain

Originally Posted by feguy1
How does one remove the factory baffle? Isn't it welded in?
On the Fat Bob and Wide Glide there is three rivits that hold the stock baffle in place.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
retxpres
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Over the years many have tried drilling and found the sound less than satisfying (like a lawn mower). Removing the wrap will be worse. Nothing substitutes for a properly designed baffle system. You may want to search the forum for ideas, there was a decent thread maybe a year or so ago.
I orignally pulled out the whole baffle and wrap and the bike sounded real good. I ended up putting the BCT baffles in, because I thought I lost some of my low end. You could try cuting the whole baffle out and just placing the end cap back in...

Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put the Supertrapp 2:1 with the billet open end cap on. They have a very deep rumble. They added low end to my bike. I had a set of shorts on it and liked them but wanted a 2 into 1. I love the deep sound from my Supertrapps.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob exhaust swap out help