Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the stock cat, does the bike run better?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Removing the stock cat, does the bike run better?

Is knocking out the cat worth doing on a 2010 Fat Bob. Does it make any noticable difference or should I just leave it alone? I like the look of the stock pipe and just want to run my slip-ons. I already have a pair of Rush 2.00 slip-ons on it now.
My bike is all stock but over the winter its getting the Heavy Breather and maybe the SE-255 cam set.

I'm looking for more bottom-end and mid-range pulling power. I'm more concerned about 0 to 60 than 70 to 90. Will these mods give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tried this but I don't have any dyno figures for the results. Trouble is that the noise level went up a lot without the cat and that always makes any seat of the pants judgement totally unreliable.

One thing though...apart from cutting-and-shutting the box with the cat in it, you won't get the cat out. Its fixed in there good and no amount of force will ever shift it. What I did was get a set of downpipes off an '08 FXDF from eBay; they didn't get a cat until '09.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 AM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my exhaust with cat removed and replaced with a thunderheader on my new glide and dynotuned before it left the dealer. my real question is how or why does the dealer do this,
I remember a year or two ago American Iron doing a series on epa violations and huge fines for tampering but it does`nt seem to have slowed the dealers or anyone down for that matter.
not that i`m complaining

Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

People have said that the cats do not restrict flow and there is zero difference in performance. With mine out, i am certain that there is a difference. A cat clogs the ENTIRE width of the pipe except for the extremely tiny holes in that mess.

If it makes no effect at all, drag and road racers should install them to keep the noise down. What think ye?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The biggest difference will be sound levels, simply removing the cat with no other changes will not give you a noticeable difference. You may gain a slight HP improvement but not enough to feel it, you will most likely have a slight drop in torque since the cats do over a certain amount of pressure in the pipes.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:17 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Chicago, do a search on the subject then sit back an soak it all in, this is a subject of many threads and the opinions are well...subjective.......

Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Chicago, do a search on the subject then sit back an soak it all in, this is a subject of many threads and the opinions are well...subjective.......
Thats what I was afaird of.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Reaper_ggy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it and founded that the headers are way cooler.
As for performence it's hard to say, I do believed it helped.
I don't have numbers ...
The sound is wonderfull now.

If you check some thread I started a while back you'll find how I removed it.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

better maybe , maybe not, but cooler for sure. Dang those cat pipes get hot!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:34 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by djack
I had my exhaust with cat removed and replaced with a thunderheader on my new glide and dynotuned before it left the dealer. my real question is how or why does the dealer do this,
I remember a year or two ago American Iron doing a series on epa violations and huge fines for tampering but it does`nt seem to have slowed the dealers or anyone down for that matter.
not that i`m complaining

Shhhhhh!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing the stock cat, does the bike run better?