Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E 3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
mrammo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E 3 Spark Plugs

Has anybody tried the E 3 sparkplugs in there Dyna.Wondering if you noticed any increase in power.Thinking about trying them.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into this a few months ago and I found several Harley owners had tried the E3s and many ended up taking them back out.For various reasons some said it threw a code on their FI others said they started out running real well and ended up not so good after a few months.I ended up going with Denso irridiums and have no complaints although I can't honestly say they do anything the original NGKs wouldn't do.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I could hardly believe spark plugs increase horsepower, anyone?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Rmuller
Cruiser
Default no way

Always use factory recommended spark plugs. That goes for cars also..

may run fine for awhile but it will eventually misfire.

Gimmick!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM
mrammo
Intermediate

looks like i'll stay stock.Thanks for the replys

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM
cecharles
Tourer

I tried them for a while on my '01 FXD, no problems or obvious increase in performance. Went back to the Screaming Eagle double platinum because they seemed to make it run better when cold. The enrichener (carburated bike) could be pused in sooner without engine hick-ups. Using Autolite Iridiums (XS4164) next year.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:21 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Three observations on plugs...

There is a huge amount of bullshit and snake oil from the plug makers. Claims are never repeatable independently on the dyno.

You might get some slight improvement with stupid-price plugs on a race machine but you will see zero difference on a Harley. So don't throw you money away.

Since about 2008, Harleys (except Sportsters) have been fitted with an anti-knock system that works by measuring the resistance through the coil, the plug leads and the plugs. Fit non-stock parts here and there's a good chance you will will disable this system. You might either have no anti-knock system or else one in permanent operation. Neither is good for the long-term life of your engine.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used E3's in my 2005 heritage and it made a big difference in how smooth the carburetor ran at higher altitudes. installing a mikuni carb and good cam made the most difference in power , along with a dyna 2000 ignition. (Ah yes the dark ages some times I miss them) .
As has been stated by lots of other posters I have stayed with the stock plugs on the EFI harley and it runs just fine. On EFI bikes I don't think spark plugs play a big enough deal to use anything but stock . For more HP a stage 1 , cam or big bore would do a better job.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Sticking with stock and the anti-knock, just changed mine last night. (.040) Gap with a dab of never-seeze.
No snake-oil tricks on this bike.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 AM
cecharles
Tourer

Originally Posted by Foxster
Three observations on plugs...

There is a huge amount of bullshit and snake oil from the plug makers. Claims are never repeatable independently on the dyno.

You might get some slight improvement with stupid-price plugs on a race machine but you will see zero difference on a Harley. So don't throw you money away.

Since about 2008, Harleys (except Sportsters) have been fitted with an anti-knock system that works by measuring the resistance through the coil, the plug leads and the plugs. Fit non-stock parts here and there's a good chance you will will disable this system. You might either have no anti-knock system or else one in permanent operation. Neither is good for the long-term life of your engine.
I've been testing different plugs on my '01 (carbureted) over the last 10 years and the platinum or iridium plugs are an improvement over the standard plugs. What's important is to run plugs in good shape and whatever kind you're comfortable with. I spent $6 a piece for the Autolites. What's the big deal? You're riding a Harley!!

Quick Reply: E 3 Spark Plugs