Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Fat Boy Lo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob or Fat Boy Lo?

Anyone with experience of each?

Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 PM
MoparBob
Cruiser

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I myself had a Fat Bob for a couple years and my wife currently has a Fat Boy Lo I have ridden a couple times. They are very different motorcycles! My suggestion is to ride both if it is possible. If not, here is my take on the bikes in as few words as I can present it.

The Fat Bob is a great handling Dyna that can put up with some pretty aggressive riding (which is why I liked it). It is one of my favorite motorcycles and I would put another in the garage in a heartbeat if I had the extra $ for it. I only parted with it in favor of a street-glide because I wanted a better long distance mount.

The Fat Boy Lo is an extremely smooth and very low to the ground softail that has a very light feel due to its low center of gravity. It is very limited in its lean angle and you will spend a lot of time scraping the floorboards even while taking it easy. It will not satisfy an aggressive rider in curves. I also do not care for the riding position in any form. My wife however loves the seating position, how smooth it is and how light it feels.

Hope this helps you out some. If not, I know there will be plenty of feedback for you shortly.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:21 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Well, I've had a Fat Bob before. I sat on a Fat Boy Lo today and it was very comfortable. Much of that has to do with having a 30 inch inseam. LOL. Your advice about the Fat boy Lo not useful for aggressive riding worries me though since my favorite vacation ride is the Dragon near Gatlinburg. I was able to really lean into the turns and it was quite fun.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:23 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the looks of the Lo

Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 AM
fella
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lo can be ridden pretty aggressively. I had one that I would ride hard. Scrapping through the corners making all kinds of noise. I had an idea of putting some titanium on the bottom edges of the boards and make some sparks. Warning: feet can be bumped off the boards if the road dips or you hit a pothole mid corner. It could be a little unnerving. I got use to it.

As for the Fat Bob, I can't really comment from experience but...My brother in law recently traded off his Softail Springer for one and he really likes it(Except for the 2-1-2 exhaust note). He says it rides better, handles better and has a more comfy riding position for him. I personally just don't like the looks of much.

Get a black Super Glide Custom and get the best of both the Lo and FB.

Last edited by fella; 12-25-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:04 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Any Dyna will beat any Softtail handeling or otherwise. Softtails are purchased for the look.

The Fat Bob is a great handeling ride. It has the same size tires as the Road King, I think it does great on longer rides.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 AM
CrazyK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fat Bob is IMO the bike you need, it handles superb en looks great. (except for the stock exhaust)

Old 12-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Shovelhed
Tourer

The Lo, hands down.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 AM
bigbirt
Intermediate

I love the Fat Bob looks...that is a very personal thing.
The Fat Bob looks, IMO, do not take well to a windshield...and if you do long rides you may really wish you had one. (I sold a Road Glide Custom to buy the Bob)
I put on the rigid leather saddle bags for some commute function; they look good on this bike.
The handling of the Bob is very good...I used to scrape the floor boards on the Glide...nothing scrapes when pushing the corners on the Bob.

I'm biased, but I say go for the Fat Bob!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fat Bob hands down! If handling is what you want the fat bob wins every time. The lo is a beautiful bad *** bike but it cant compete with the dyna frame. I owned a fat bob and with metzelers she tracked real well like on rails on the twisties. Test rode a lo a couple of times and it just didn't inspire confidience going into the turns Just my i

Quick Reply: Fat Bob or Fat Boy Lo?