Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Fork oil Weight

Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Dave
Same here. Replacing the oil with the SE heavy was suggested here when I was thinking of buying a fork upgrade kit. The suggestion was to try the least expensive thing first. Worked well for me!
Great, I will too then. Thanks to all

Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 PM
shrini23
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks guys
I'm currently running prog.springs in front and will be adding intiminators for a better ride...Bike has done roughly around 10000miles.
Should I get Type B or SE oil or get an Amsoil 10W50 (AMSOIL suggested to me by a vendor)
which one is better?

As always your inputs are much appreciated

Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 AM
DutchBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Intiminators, get a good quality 10wt fork oil, like Amsoil Shock Therapy Medium (which is 10wt).

Do not use the 10w50 you mentioned a couple of times, this is motor oil as stated above, it's for your engine, not your forks!!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My preference is a hevier spring with lighter oil. Heavier oil slows the suspension down and though it may keep you from bottoming out over a small bump it will still not make up for an undersprung bike. Going with a heavier spring will keep your bike from nosediving any time you get on the brakes or enter a turn with any speed. That is something that heavy oil will not do. Keeping a lighter oil allows the suspension to work and keeps the tire on the road which in turn improves handling.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:29 AM
chevylox
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
My preference is a hevier spring with lighter oil. Heavier oil slows the suspension down and though it may keep you from bottoming out over a small bump it will still not make up for an undersprung bike. Going with a heavier spring will keep your bike from nosediving any time you get on the brakes or enter a turn with any speed. That is something that heavy oil will not do. Keeping a lighter oil allows the suspension to work and keeps the tire on the road which in turn improves handling.
Good advice. So what u guys think I'm running progressive 1 inch lowering springs whats opinion on fork oil?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
Completely agree here.
My next configuration is Belray 7W High Perf fork oil with my progressive springs with a 1/2 or 3/4" preload, from all the other combos I have tried I think this one should be the sweet ticket.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

OK, so the quick fix is heavier oil but the true fix is heavier springs with standard factory oil.

So any idea what springs will run for an FLD? I know mrnone has some progressives on his front AND back but wasn't sure of price point as he was part of a development program. The stock rear shocks I'm totally fine with, it's just the front that needs attention. Why the F*** hd doesn't just do it right the first time on something as critical as a front end is a constant irritation to me. But i know, welcome to the club...

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Completely agree here.
My next configuration is Belray 7W High Perf fork oil with my progressive springs with a 1/2 or 3/4" preload, from all the other combos I have tried I think this one should be the sweet ticket.

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 12-31-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
OK, so the quick fix is heavier oil but the true fix is heavier springs with standard factory oil.

So any idea what springs will run for an FLD? I know mrnone has some progressives on his front AND back but wasn't sure of price point as he was part of a development program. The stock rear shocks I'm totally fine with, it's just the front that needs attention. Why the F*** hd doesn't just do it right the first time on something as critical as a front end is a constant irritation to me. But i know, welcome to the club...
Progressive does not list a spring kit for the FLD yet, so can't really give any first hand advice on other brands.
As for HD, there is nothing "wrong" with the stock front end for 95% of riders, so no "need" for HD to change it. Not possible to build the perfect bike for everyone, so they pick happy mediums and allow the aftermarket industry to earn the dollars of those of us that wish to push the limits.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Look at (Works) front springs. Price is right.
I have the triple rated springs that handle anything I can throw at them.
normally ride on the 30 then when you brake your into the 40 and then 60, those unexpected bumps and holes that show up. Well you just need to steer through it cause the bike will handle it.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Progressive does not list a spring kit for the FLD yet, so can't really give any first hand advice on other brands.
As for HD, there is nothing "wrong" with the stock front end for 95% of riders, so no "need" for HD to change it. Not possible to build the perfect bike for everyone, so they pick happy mediums and allow the aftermarket industry to earn the dollars of those of us that wish to push the limits.
I researched progressives too prior to posting and saw nothing yet either.
I don't think I'm doing or asking anything unusual of the bike. I'm only 6' 210 and just ride it, basically. I push it at times, like we all do I think, but under normal conditions like running on a concrete freeway that is in relatively good shape and I hear metal on metal while going over a medium bump, well it pisses me off. I think it should be able to handle that. Oh well, I'll try the heavier oil and then look into springs when they come out. Thanks for the input bud, I always appreciate your posts as you pretty much tell it like it is and how you see it. Take care and happy new year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Fork oil Weight