Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Fork oil Weight

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM
shrini23
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default HD Fork oil Weight

Hi I need to purchase a 10W50 oil from HD..
My local dealer carries only Type B,Type E & SE fork oil...

Would like to know from someone here what's the weight of the different fork oil from HD?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fork oil dynamics, help needed

Originally Posted by shrini23
Hi I need to purchase a 10W50 oil from HD..
My local dealer carries only Type B,Type E & SE fork oil...
Would like to know from someone here what's the weight of the different fork oil from HD?
shrini, please forgive me intruding on your thread but I too, would like info on this. I have same question but for different reasons and would like some education on oil weights and what the different ones accomplish.

When I changed out my sliders (had an indy shop do it actually) noticed my front end started hitting metal on metal on medium holes and bumps. I did not do a change out of the sliders, I had them chrome my original ones and re-install. Now, when I changed them out I only had like 300 miles on the bike and was taking it real easy so not sure if it would have done this anyway. When I told the shop of the problem, they said bring it back and they will put a heavier oil in it. I haven't done that yet. That begs the obvious question though...why wasn't the oil they put in, the same oil or maybe it was?... I don't know.

Does this sound logical to those who know? This is a very reputable shop, I can't see them putting the wrong oil in. Anyone?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Type B/E is 5wt.

SE is either 10w or 15w.

10w50...isn't that motor oil? I don't think that's a good substitute for fork oil (which I think leans more towards a lightweight hydraulic fluid)

Old 12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to forum member Skratch

type e - 5 wt (standard for showa forks)
type b - 10 wt
se heavy - 15 wt
se race - 20 wt

I use SE heavy in my forks

10w-50 is a multi-viscosity motor oil.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've switched to SE heavy on most of my bikes, better ride and no bottoming, haven't done it on this bike yet, mainly because of the PIA in changing oil in these forks.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:04 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Garyk
I've switched to SE heavy on most of my bikes, better ride and no bottoming, haven't done it on this bike yet, mainly because of the PIA in changing oil in these forks.
Were you getting bottoming out with the standard fork oil then? Looks like four different grades...interesting there is that much to choose from. How touchy was it before changing out to the heavy? It seems my metal on metal occurs when the forks recover back UP not when it compresses down. Is that typical?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My forks would bottom on compression and rebound quite often with the stock fork oil in them, I switched to the SE heavy stuff and no bottoming anymore.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I went the route of heavier springs with lighter oil. (amsoil, shock theraphy 10wt)
Bottoming out is a thing of the past.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
Were you getting bottoming out with the standard fork oil then? Looks like four different grades...interesting there is that much to choose from. How touchy was it before changing out to the heavy? It seems my metal on metal occurs when the forks recover back UP not when it compresses down. Is that typical?
On both the sportsters and the fxr and 91 dyna, I had a problem with them bottoming on some bumps and not all that steady in corners. Switched to the SE heavy and was very happy.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MXerwithaBob
My forks would bottom on compression and rebound quite often with the stock fork oil in them, I switched to the SE heavy stuff and no bottoming anymore.
Same here. Replacing the oil with the SE heavy was suggested here when I was thinking of buying a fork upgrade kit. The suggestion was to try the least expensive thing first. Worked well for me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD Fork oil Weight