Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

respoking wheels $ ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
skinless
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default respoking wheels $ ?

I have looked for a long time for some new wheels. Have looked at mags, spokes and some high $ ****. I have always liked the look of a spoke wheel with outer and inner ring powder coated black. I have found some already done
ebay- stainless spokes $600 redone all new
rev tec wheel -$800 to $900

So I called a mechanic and to respoke (Buchanan stainless straight spokes), powder coat out the door is $500 to $600.

Is this a decent price?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As you know wheels are really expensive. I think that is a fair price considering the cost of a new wheel. but if you can find a better deal on a new wheel by all means go for it.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lacing is the most labor intensive part of that job, that is likely where the bulk of the quote came from. I took my wheels apart myself, took a lot of pictures during disassembly, had the hubs, spokes and rims powdercoated and re-laced them myself, then I took them to a dirtbike shop to have them trued and tires mounted. I put dynabeads in them so no balancing at the shop, I'm in the wheels probably less than $300.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 PM
skinless
Road Captain

the 500 to 600 price includes take off, sand blast, spokes, powder coat, reassemble, new bearings, truing, and tire re mount.

The spokes are close to $130 a set.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

sounds like a fair price. All the chrome has to be stripped before anything is sandblasted, were you quoted a price for that also?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Id get a few more quotes, 5-600 for all that is a lot of money when you can get custom rims from hdwheels or black bikes for 2-400 more

Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
skinless
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MXerwithaBob
sounds like a fair price. All the chrome has to be stripped before anything is sandblasted, were you quoted a price for that also?
Thats sandblasting included

Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer

Sandblasting is not stripping. All the chrome parts have to be chemically dipped to remove all the chrome so that the steel underneath can be sandblasted. Typically the sandblaster/powdercoater will not do the chemical dip. Maybe contact Joe Knapp, he is a member on here and runs his own powdercoating business, I've seen him give out really resonable prices for stuff like this, he will also do all the work your other shop quoted. He is highly regarded on here and does really nice work from what I've seen.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go ahead and get off some of that money your sitting on and get some RC Component rims!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If having a powder coating shop do the work, do it locally. You will avoid issues if the job isn't done to your satisfaction. Nothing worse than getting crappy work from an out of state powder coater and not being in a position to argue face to face.
Just my two cents...

Quick Reply: respoking wheels $ ?