Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Speedo Mod and Ratio Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
ajpointless
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Mini Speedo Mod and Ratio Information

So I am going through winter mods, and right now, am stuck with in pre-phase for parts. I will be re-locating my stock '06 Dyna handlebar mounted speedo to the horn mount location on the left side under the tank. However, I do not want to keep the current speedometer. I have never liked the digital face on the speedo and want a classic analog style face. I want to change it out for a Mini Speedometer like this one:

Found at: http://www.debrix.com/60mm-4-LED-Bla...39-0578-vt.htm

Or even this one (which is NOT mini):

Found at: http://www.debrix.com/2-1-Speedomete...39-0387-vt.htm

Unfortunately, I have no idea how my stock '06 Speedo works! OR what type of "Ratio" it is! All the looking around I have done so far, has shown me speedo's with mechanical wires which plug into the back and either hook up to the front tire or the transmission. I know my '06 FXDI must be a transmission drive speedo because my tire has nothing on it. But I do not see any sort of "wire" linkage from the speedo to the transmission. It appears to be completely electric.

I have done as much reasearch as I can over the net, I even looked all over HDForums, and found out that the drive of the transmission or front tire is used for the "ratio" for the wires rotation to the speedo's gauge. Most people say that a 2:1 is for tire mounted speedo's, while a 1:1 is for tranny speedo's. But I can not find anything regarding the workings, or settings, or ratio, of the stock '06 and up HD speedometers.

Are they compeltely electric? What is(are) their ratio(s)? Just how do they work? Does ANYONE know? Does anyone know if I will even be able to make this change from a digital readout speedo to an analog readout speedo? I dont care at all if I keep all the lights either (i.e. turn sigs, "N", etc.) If I dont keep the indicator lights, can I simply rip out their respective wiring without harming anything? I am completely clueless here and need some serious help!

Just to let you know the basics of my bike as they "may" relate to this topic:

2006 Dyna FXDI
Power Commander 5
V&H Short Shots
SE Air Filter
*There is more, but other mods are not important to this*

Thank you in advance for ANY help

Last edited by ajpointless; 01-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a similar job a while ago but on a Sporty. I know its not the same as your bike but it was the same year and it might be relevant.

The stock speedo worked by having a pickup on the rear of the crankcase that connected through to the output shaft of the rear pulley. This sensor produced a low voltage square wave signal that was fed straight to the ECU. The ECU then communicated with the speedo through the bike's data bus (i.e. not a dedicated set of wiring) to the speedo.

I found that a replacement speedo had to be model-specific to work with the bike's ECU and data bus, as generic speedos (other than those with their own supplied sensor) wouldn't work.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM
ajpointless
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
I did a similar job a while ago but on a Sporty. I know its not the same as your bike but it was the same year and it might be relevant.

The stock speedo worked by having a pickup on the rear of the crankcase that connected through to the output shaft of the rear pulley. This sensor produced a low voltage square wave signal that was fed straight to the ECU. The ECU then communicated with the speedo through the bike's data bus (i.e. not a dedicated set of wiring) to the speedo.

I found that a replacement speedo had to be model-specific to work with the bike's ECU and data bus, as generic speedos (other than those with their own supplied sensor) wouldn't work.
Good Lord! I would give my left nut for a carb bike right now!!! (been saying that for years).

Guess I need a speedo with its own sensor, which then will need to be tuned. More work.