Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Wide Glide Highway Vibration???

Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Kevinmach1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Wide Glide Highway Vibration???

I have a 2012 Wide Glide with vibration issue (possibly).

I haven't had it very long, and I don't have many miles on it, maybe less than 50.

I just got the stage 1 done at the dealership, rush slip-ons, stage 1 air cleaner and the dealership tune.

The bike runs great, but I took it for a short ride today and I noticed while going down the road, it was really vibrating. I thought at first that that it was the road, but I ruled that out. Then I thought maybe the front wheel is out of balance, but the vibration would go away if I pulled in the clutch....

So my question is how much vibration should I feel riding down the road? I mean this actually will chatter my teeth. It doesn't make me think I will feel like going on a 300 mile ride....

Normal dyna vibration??? I know it vibrates at idle, I expected that. I don't recall any vibration when I had it completely stock. (the few miles I rode it that way)

The dealership said its normal that they vibrate, but to bring it by nwext time I am out so they can take it for a ride... (its winter here guys...)

Thanks... I need to get this figured out.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

at what RPMs or is it through the whole range?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Kevinmach1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
at what RPMs or is it through the whole range?
I really wasn't watching, but pretty much when cruising around 2000-2400 rpms. Normal cruise rpms.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with 1HD1C. This is very unusual for a Dyna and has me thinking you're keeping your RPMs too low. However, the Wide Glide doesn't really have a tach. So, I'll ask: How fast are you going and what gear are you in when you experience this?

For the smoothest ride, I never shifted into sixth until I was in excess of 70 mph. I don't want to assume you are a new rider, but I've met a lot of people that thought it was the goal to lop through all six gears as soon as possible. I blame this on automatic transmission in cages. People forget what it means to shift and how to do so properly. Space out your shifts, and let the engine gain RPMs before shifting to the next gear.

If this isn't your case, we may need to examine other areas.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Like DocJ said, the only thing I can think of (assuming there are no physical problems with the bike) is you may be lugging it in 6th. Yes, the Dyna is a paint shaker sitting at a light, but it should be smooth when cruising.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 PM
jamman
Road Master

theres a tach in the menu on the speedo, yes they vibrate, shouldnt be insane but they do move, around, mine starts at 29k to 31 all gears.. they get smoother as they break in also..

Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
jamman
Road Master

Originally Posted by DocJ
I'm with 1HD1C. This is very unusual for a Dyna and has me thinking you're keeping your RPMs too low. However, the Wide Glide doesn't really have a tach. So, I'll ask: How fast are you going and what gear are you in when you experience this?

For the smoothest ride, I never shifted into sixth until I was in excess of 70 mph. I don't want to assume you are a new rider, but I've met a lot of people that thought it was the goal to lop through all six gears as soon as possible. I blame this on automatic transmission in cages. People forget what it means to shift and how to do so properly. Space out your shifts, and let the engine gain RPMs before shifting to the next gear.

the new 103's have been tweaked to be able to shift into 6th at much lower rpm, says so in my manual...

Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamman
theres a tach in the menu on the speedo, yes they vibrate, shouldnt be insane but they do move, around, mine starts at 29k to 31 all gears.. they get smoother as they break in also..
They incorporated a tach in the speedo for 2012? Really. Not only did they get the 103 but they got a tach. Damn.

As for the vibrations. I had more than usual vibrations. Looked at my front motor mount and it was collapsed. The rubber was touching the metal of the mount. As soon as they, the dealer, shaved it, it felt like a new bike again.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Kevinmach1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ

No, I've been riding for about 30 years or so, so I'm sure its not that. I am seeing the vibration at all speeds from 5 to 60 and in any gear pretty much.

I also do have the tach in the speedo.. and it tells me what gear I am in.

I am taking it for another ride tomorrow, so I will pay closer attention to gear and rpm...

Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM
jamman
Road Master

dynas vibe bud..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Wide Glide Highway Vibration???