Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
NTrain177
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i felt my SB does viberate at the 80mph range on the expressway..i thought it was just me since i am coming off a soft tail with the counter balanced motor. but i agree for a long run this will not due at all...i believe it is in the windshield more than anything. i believe i am going to either A. look for one of those "cool" short low/dark tin windshields that you can get for a road king or B. get the clock works "flair" windshield. and as for the 2-1 pipe that is BS..on my night train i switched from short shots to a 2-1 pro pipe and felt nothing but more power..thinking about maybe some of those different type of bushings you can put into your triple tree

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no the vibes we are talking about are not.. wind buffetting... or isolated to our handle bars..

Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
NTrain177
Cruiser

so your saying its in other places then just the bars? thats the only place i feel mine..but i believe its just the normal HD vibrations

Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 PM
cecharles
Tourer

I did just get out for a short ride and part of it was on the freeway. I accelerated up to 80+ with no vibration and most of the ride was at 45 mph, no issues either. You guys can see what mods are done on my bike and I don't know if that's related but just trying to help. I'm wondering if part of the problem is the extra torque on the rubber engine mounts.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No vibes here

Are you sure you guys are cruising in the 2600-3300 rpm range?

I initially experienced these symptoms until I stayed in that range on this engine and trans. Once I did stay up there, it all went away. I saw in the other thread on this subject, most weren't fessin up they were luggin it because all their other bikes wouldn't lug at those lower rpm's. That was the case with me, it was foreign to habitually rev that high on the old bikes and engines I used to run.

Jam, I think you are exception as you are getting it in all gears.

Edit: did you guys know that this engine will literally shake apart at 1700 rpm's if you keep it there?

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 01-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
cecharles
Tourer

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
Are you sure you guys are cruising in the 2600-3300 rpm range?

I initially experienced these symptoms until I stayed in that range on this engine and trans. Once I did stay up there, it all went away. I saw in the other thread on this subject, most weren't fessin up they were luggin it because all their other bikes wouldn't lug at those lower rpm's. That was the case with me, it was foreign to habitually rev that high on the old bikes and engines I used to run.

Edit: did you guys know that this engine will literally shake apart at 1700 rpm's if you keep it there?
FB, I like to keep mine at 2,300-2,700 RPM in any gear and yes I can feel a difference if I let it get below 2,000 RPM.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cecharles
FB, I like to keep mine at 2,300-2,700 RPM in any gear and yes I can feel a difference if I let it get below 2,000 RPM.
C, you getting any vibes like people are experiencing here at those r's?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
cecharles
Tourer

C, you getting any vibes like people are experiencing here at those r's?
FB, no problems with mine but it's got over 1,000 miles on it now and I like to run it so it doesn't lug. I see some of the guys are saying to cruise at 3,000 RPMs or more but mine feels good at about 2,700 RPMs. Too bad our weather is going to take a turn towards snow and cold because I'd like to do some more riding and find out if higher RPMs is the way to go.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I'm an exception, you got that right, and if you look back through my posts , since i aquired Ruby, i have always stated this , and yes , i think its mount related, cause its like butter before and after..and actually, at 80+ it's teeth chattering. bikes going back to the dealer as soon as the weather turns nasty here, been lucky still having some great days to putt.. 4300 miles since mid aug..

Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

You 3000 rpm guys must have very liberal laws in your state. On my SB at 3000 rpm's in sixth gear I'm doing over 80. Now on the way back from Daytona a bolt did break off in the exhaust mount the dealer is researching that. They are going to fix all the problems that came with that. On that trip I have to admit I was running 75-80 most of the way. But the vibes weren't that bad until after the exhaust bolt came loose. Then it was real bad. Now I'm at 5300 miles and growing.

Quick Reply: Switchback vibration