Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by switchbacksteve
You 3000 rpm guys must have very liberal laws in your state. On my SB at 3000 rpm's in sixth gear I'm doing over 80. Now on the way back from Daytona a bolt did break off in the exhaust mount the dealer is researching that. They are going to fix all the problems that came with that. On that trip I have to admit I was running 75-80 most of the way. But the vibes weren't that bad until after the exhaust bolt came loose. Then it was real bad. Now I'm at 5300 miles and growing.
Steve, I don't even shift to 6th until at least 75, more like 80. Most of the time, I'm in 5th on the freeways and 3k rpm +/- pocket is where I stay most of the time. Man, you guys have really put some miles on. Now, I've had a few weeks (maybe 3 1/2) in the shops with all the mods, but I don't think I have over 2200 on mine and I bought mine in aug. as well. I'm laggin, I guess. Not to be confused with luggin...lol

Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Saphira
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegrants82
A lot of similar reports from switchback owners. First year for the new model. The moco will have the bugs ironed out with the 2013's.

So what are we suppose to do? Will the MOCO recall our bikes and fix the bugs?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
jamman
Road Master

Originally Posted by switchbacksteve
On my SB at 3000 rpm's in sixth gear I'm doing over 80.
awesome Huh?
Originally Posted by Saphira
naw they're real good for turning thier heads , just bitch it'll get done.. some dont have a vibe problem..

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Saphira
Probably not but if its something weird then 5 years from now people will say "stay away from the 12 switchbacks" like they now say "stay away from the 06 Bobs" Risk you take when you buy the first year of a new model....especially with HD where the public doubles as the R&D department. It's a fact that HD first year models have a terrible track record. First year Evo's, first year Low Rider, first year V-Rod, the 06 Bob..........those are the only big ones that I can think of without googling.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it will help in this case but here is how I cut done on the vibes from my exhaust.

- Loosen the mounting bolts except at the exhaust flange and muffler clamp.
- Start the engine, let it idle, and give it a couple of revs.
- Shut the engine off and retighten all the mounting bolts.

This drastically cut down on the vibes I was getting in the right footpeg.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Ken Baer
Cruiser

I test rode a SB when they first came out and it vibrated hard at all speeds, esp. at 70 -80mph. The bike had just over 125 miles. When I returned to the dealer I spoke to a guy who had ridden the same bike earlier in the day and he too complained of the vibration. Three weeks later I was talking to the service manager of another Harley dealer and he told me the Motor Company was aware of the vibration problem and was going to issue new (apparently softer) motor mounts to quiet the shakes. The SM thought this would be a warranty issue, not a recall, and that SB's assembled later in the production run would come from the factory with the latest modified mounts.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM
wyldspirit
Tourer

I started another post referring to a supposed but quite grinding sound I heard at highway speed in 6th gear. From what I am reading I now wonder if what I was hearing was in fact a vibration. But also it was only noticeable when I twisted the throttle

Old 01-11-2012, 07:30 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by cecharles
FB, I like to keep mine at 2,300-2,700 RPM in any gear and yes I can feel a difference if I let it get below 2,000 RPM.
this is my usual range also, 2300-2500 is right around 65 to 70mph
but as i said, i hit 200 miles of babying this past weekend so i ran it up to 3k in 6th gear and while at a steady 3k on the highway which was right around 80mph for about 3 miles i had a non stop vibration through the whole bike, this will definitely be disconcerting/uncomfortable on a long trip.

the claims of the problem being with the 2-1 factory pipe has come from
a lot of internet searching and found on multiple sites and this is why i had asked if anyone experienced the vibrations and then they went away with a slip on change.

for you guys that dont feel any vibrations at all,

did you have the new pipe installed before it left the dealer?

lol, I'm an exception, you got that right, and if you look back through my posts , since i aquired Ruby, i have always stated this , and yes , i think its mount related, cause its like butter before and after..and actually, at 80+ it's teeth chattering. bikes going back to the dealer as soon as the weather turns nasty here, been lucky still having some great days to putt.. 4300 miles since mid aug..
teeth chattering is putting it mildly..... but even with the BAD vibration i am in love with this bike and have
no doubt it will get figured out.

Last edited by 1HD1C; 01-11-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
jamman
Road Master

One of my riding buds bought a 2012 wide glide right after I did and yesterday, he checked his at rpm levels and gears to compare, says his his like butter all the way to a 100

Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
cecharles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
this is my usual range also, 2300-2500 is right around 65 to 70mph
but as i said, i hit 200 miles of babying this past weekend so i ran it up to 3k in 6th gear and while at a steady 3k on the highway which was right around 80mph for about 3 miles i had a non stop vibration through the whole bike, this will definitely be disconcerting/uncomfortable on a long trip.

the claims of the problem being with the 2-1 factory pipe has come from
a lot of internet searching and found on multiple sites and this is why i had asked if anyone experienced the vibrations and then they went away with a slip on change.

for you guys that dont feel any vibrations at all,

did you have the new pipe installed before it left the dealer?

teeth chattering is putting it mildly..... but even with the BAD vibration i am in love with this bike and have
no doubt it will get figured out.
I didn't have any mods done on mine until it had around 800 miles on it and it never had any of the vibrations you guys are talking about. I live about 24 miles away from work and most of it is freeway. I never felt any vibrations before or after the RPM restrictions (suggestions). Hope this can get resolved but it can't be too much, the 103s aren't new and neither are the dyna frames or 6 speeds.

Quick Reply: Switchback vibration