Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

message in display

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:07 AM
dolg
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default message in display

Hi,

Bought a brand new Dyna Wide Glide, which was delivered yesterday. Unfortunally the battery was dead, and I had to charge it.

From the beginning, a message (error code?) is shown in the display that says "V INERR".

Any one knows what this means? I called the dealer, but they did not know and they could read out the system (100 km drive, and it is raining)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

just a stab in the dark, but i would guess Voltage Error, ie flat battery or not enough to juice to start. It'll probably go away after you recharge the battery, or clear when you turn the ignition on after charging.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Roadrider18
Tourer

Delivered with a dead battery by an authorized Dealer? That does not sound right.

I am not finding the information you provided, but, I do not have 2012 manuals.

With a low or dead battery, I would have expected diagnostic code beginning with the letter "P" to have been displayed.

Generally, the first character is a letter indicating the system with a problem, followed by numbers indicating the specific problem.

Here is how you retrieve diagnostic codes (I do not know if there were changes to the procedure for 2012)...

The following procedure will instruct in retrieving and clearing ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes and TSM/TSSM codes thru the Harley guage cluster as well as a list of codes.

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release the odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, sppedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module) [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" (no response) will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

Last edited by Roadrider18; 01-19-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Did you install a new battery? You might just need to clear the code and then see if it returns. If the code came on as a result of the old battery, it might not clear on its own.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"V INERR" has to do with the data bus of the ECM. Have your dealer get a copy of the 2012 Dyna code book. The book has a section on this very code. It will have to be reset at the dealer.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 AM
dolg
Stage III

Thanks all for the reply. Had contact with the dealer, and they have a WG with hte same issue. They need to update/reset the software.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dolg
Thanks all for the reply. Had contact with the dealer, and they have a WG with hte same issue. They need to update/reset the software.
Haven't had this problem yet with 2012 WGs at our dealer. But we do have have the new Dyna 2012 code book.

I told my boss about the problem and he is going to have us quick check all new Dyna's for this error, before they go on the floor.

Good luck with your new bike.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
grumpyoledude
Intermediate

I also just got a new Dyna but got a Super Glide Custom. It was delivered on the 21st and went right in the garage before the snow started. I almost went crazy trying to set the clock on it. I searched all around the speedo looking for the button like on the Road Kings and Sporters I had. Found nothing. I finally looked in the owner manual and found that there is now a "Trip" switch to do this. It is located on the top part of the horn button (printed on the button is "Horn" on the bottom and "Trip" on the top)! I'd rather have the little black button on the speedo but I guess HD likes to make changes for the sake of change.
Grumpy

Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
KevenW
Tourer

Why did you leave the dealership with a new bike with a dead battery? Did you haul it home or something?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM
dolg
Stage III

OK, finally the issue solved. The error was in the tacho. Replaced it, and solved.....

Quick Reply: message in display