Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FXDX What can interchange? Tins, Seats, Bars, tires, wheels, bars, mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Red5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 FXDX What can interchange? Tins, Seats, Bars, tires, wheels, bars, mirrors?

Sold the sporty and bought this Dyna Super Wide Sport. I like the bike. But there are a few things I want ot change to make it my bike.

The current tins are in Perfect shape, but they are the silver/grey... I don't want to re-spray over a perfect factory finish. What other model (I assume they have to be Dynas) bikes tins will fit?

How about Bars? How high up can I go before I have to change out cables and such?

With the sporties I had an 05 xl1200r, and I knew that most 04-present parts would fit... (Not all parts obviously)

I'd like to end up gloss black with a nice solo seat and higher bars. Possibly even a small sport fairing.

Got any ideas?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Five13
Novice

I have put 6" risers with 3" of rise sporter bars on without changing and cables. When I went to 8" risers, I got a longer clutch cable. Wasn't necessary, but it kept cleaner look. You might find someone to do a swap for your tins..good luck

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Red5
Advanced

Will all "Dyna" seats fit? Or am I looking for 99-0?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seats are only up to '03 and it is due to the gas tanks. The exhaust is up to '05 I believe. after that it changes the rear mounting bracket, the exhaust flanges and they have O2 sensor ports. You can make it work though. The tins will work up to different years because it has to do with other factors. The rear fender up to '05, but the tank is different on '04-05. That is why the seat is different. You can use those tanks as long as you use the seat as well. The front fender all has to do with the fork. The wheels are based mostly on axel diameter. You have a 3/4". I believe you can use the '04-05 wheels, but you have to change the bearings. The newer wheels won't work. I'm not 100% on the exact years on that though. On the front you also have to deal with hub size for the narrow glide and dual discs. Hopefully someone can confirm this, and I hope it helps.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 PM
skinless
Road Captain

I can't say enough good things about my FXDX. Well the sport qualities are all gone. I bought mostly for the black back drop.

Bars - Depends what you want. Apes or t bars? There is a few people up here that have the t bar sport fairing look. I like to call it the SOA look. Top of my head can't remember there screen names.

Tins- Not sure but in the long run probably cheaper to repaint / You can find low rider and other tanks to relocate speedo. Do a search many have done it before on regular superglides.

Seats- Depends if you want low stance or not. I'm running a bare bones and love it.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
skinless
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Red5
Will all "Dyna" seats fit? Or am I looking for 99-0?
Pulled this from j and p fitment spec for seats

Dyna Low Rider Convertible FXDS : 1996–2000
Dyna Low Rider FXDL : 1996–2003
Dyna Super Glide FXD : 1996–2003
Dyna Super Glide Sport FXDX : 1999–2003
Super Glide T Sport FXDXT : 2001–2003

Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike had some old man buckhorn type bars when I bought it so it already had longer cables, I went to Street Slammers for a few months then to some 9" MX-Tbars you see in my sig pic with the same cables. Seats and all Dyna tanks from 96-03 will bolt up. However if you go to a FXDL or FXDWG tank more mods are required. I have an FXDL tank I put on mine, let me put the tach and speedo on the tank instead of the mickey mouse ear mount.

Honestly, I would just paint your tins, I did. Mine were mint but Aztec Orange when I got the bike. Sold the tank, got the FXDL tank and console and sent them out for paint. Had my license plate and turn sig holes welded shut and went with and all in one plate mount / taillight / turn sig combo that mounts in the taillight location.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

for a fairing look at the Rifle Roadster. I just bought one, but have not installed it on my FXDX.

Rims - you can go to 21" in front - not sure why though. The back you kind of need to stay with the 3.5" 16" I believe. Can't go wider without going to a different final drive size or chain.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Good_Apollo
My bike had some old man buckhorn type bars when I bought it so it already had longer cables, I went to Street Slammers for a few months then to some 9" MX-Tbars you see in my sig pic with the same cables. Seats and all Dyna tanks from 96-03 will bolt up. However if you go to a FXDL or FXDWG tank more mods are required. I have an FXDL tank I put on mine, let me put the tach and speedo on the tank instead of the mickey mouse ear mount.

Honestly, I would just paint your tins, I did. Mine were mint but Aztec Orange when I got the bike. Sold the tank, got the FXDL tank and console and sent them out for paint. Had my license plate and turn sig holes welded shut and went with and all in one plate mount / taillight / turn sig combo that mounts in the taillight location.
Good_apollo
What tail light combo did you use?

Can you describe the mods to change a 2000FXDX to use a FXDL tank. ure like to do that to mine...

Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhotoRider
for a fairing look at the Rifle Roadster. I just bought one, but have not installed it on my FXDX.

Rims - you can go to 21" in front - not sure why though. The back you kind of need to stay with the 3.5" 16" I believe. Can't go wider without going to a different final drive size or chain.
I like that fairing a lot. I want to add that to mine one day as well with either the 15" or 18" shield. At 6'3", I'm not sure if the 15" would work.

I believe a 160 tire is the widest with the stock setup. I have a 150 and only have a 1/2" between the tire and the belt. I think a 170 would be too tight and you would have to go to a 17" rim at least 4" wide for that.

Quick Reply: 99 FXDX What can interchange? Tins, Seats, Bars, tires, wheels, bars, mirrors?