Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea for removing/installing rigid backrest side rails less painful

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Gee
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Idea for removing/installing rigid backrest side rails less painful

Probably not a new idea but searching for detachable side plates and the mounting hardware got me thinking........

Okay, have and idea and just looking for input. Like most of you there is a solo seat that is mostly installed but there is the time that you need to put on the 2-up seat with her backrest onto the bike for just because the sun came out for a couple minute. I was going to get a detachable solo luggage rack for the rear fender but I bought the kind that connects to the fender using the seat mounting nuts. That solved one of my problems or concerns. Maybe I don't need a detachable backrest.......... What the second easiest way to do the back rest with out getting the detachable hardware kit, and the detachable side plates? The biggest pain I found when removing the saddle bag stand offs, or the back rest side plates was the rear fender mounting bracket that was on the inside of the fender. With or with out my saddle bags installed it was awkward getting a wrench on the rear bolt for it. Why the front was threaded and the rear was not I am not sure but I threaded the rear hole to take a 3/8" bolt and reinforced it a bit. So that should help speed things up (and lower the amout of curse words that come from the garage) when I need to remove anything back there. The second thought was it would be easier if I didn’t have to remove both of the bolts on each side. Then fight with holding the fender mounting bracket in place while holding the saddle bags, supports, and rails in place and inserting a bolt through it all and getting the thread started right.

After looking at the detachable side plates I figured why not. Make an opening on either the front or back hole of the rigid side rail. Just large enough that I could fit a 3/8” bolt through. This way I would only need to loosen that bolt up a little and not remove it completely. Removing only two out of four isn’t to bad or time consuming.

Now where cut…. the front or rear of the plate. I was thinking of removing a small amount of metal right below the rear mounting hole of the side plate. It would be the least amount of material that would need to me removed. The front would be secured with a bolt through the hole. It seem the backrest is getting pressed back against so leaving front hole alone and placing a bolt through it seemed the safest. If so I can sit the back rest rear side plate onto the rear mounting bolts and just need to line up the front hole and reinsert the bolt I removed. Not as fast as a detachable backrest but it should be pretty quick if I don’t have to mess with any nuts inside the fender or mounting bracket popping out of the holes.

Just looking for any input on something I might miss or improve on. There are a lot of you out there that have swapped seats and backrest a thousand more times then I have so would appreciate any input or ideas on it. Thanks

Alright my solo luggage rack just showed up so have to go install it and see how it looks on there.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you go the same route with the backrest as you did the luggage rack? Use a mount that only bolts to the fender, under the seat. I have this setup and it works well. It also doesnt interfere with my Easy brackets and hard bags.

you can get them at: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/772...issy-Bar-Mount

Last edited by DesertDyna; 02-17-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Gee
Tourer

It is amazing the amount of aftermarket items made for Harley. I couldn't even find a custom shifter for my Yamaha, had to use a HD shifter. lol Looks like that would be easy to take on and off also. The bonus also like you said is no additional spacers for the quick detachable rail. If I can I am going to try and make what I have right now work. Putting money away for a trip to Europe this summer so I am (actually she is) counting my pennies right now. Thanks again, I book marked that product for later on this year and will consider it when the money is back in the wallet.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I slotted the front holes horizontally and the back holes vertically like yours. No way it can come off and you do not have to remove the bolts.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 AM
nichiowa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just letting you know that I have one for sale and I am at a base in Germany, maybe you can pic it up on vacation, LOL.

Originally Posted by Gee
It is amazing the amount of aftermarket items made for Harley. I couldn't even find a custom shifter for my Yamaha, had to use a HD shifter. lol Looks like that would be easy to take on and off also. The bonus also like you said is no additional spacers for the quick detachable rail. If I can I am going to try and make what I have right now work. Putting money away for a trip to Europe this summer so I am (actually she is) counting my pennies right now. Thanks again, I book marked that product for later on this year and will consider it when the money is back in the wallet.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Gee
Tourer

Originally Posted by nichiowa
Just letting you know that I have one for sale and I am at a base in Germany, maybe you can pic it up on vacation, LOL.
We are planning a trip to Europe this summer. Not sure if Germany is in the schedule but it would save on shipping. Actually the trip is why I am trying to make my own instead of buying one. She has all my play money in Folgers can some where.

Originally Posted by gus4440
I slotted the front holes horizontally and the back holes vertically like yours. No way it can come off and you do not have to remove the bolts.
I haven't gotten to this project yet but your post has inspired me to not remove any of the bolts. After looking at pictures of the detachable rails it sould like you cut your slots similair. I haven't cut this heavy of metal before. Only thing I have that is capable of making the cut is a 4" angle grinder. I picked up a metal cut-off wheel for it the other day. What did you use to cut the slots in yours?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's what I did too

Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

All you need is a hacksaw. Put masking tape over the area where you are going to cut. It will give a place to lay out the lines with a pen or marker and protect the plating from flaking or scratching if you slip a little getting started.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM
KevenW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can buy a bracket that has the rear hole threaded from harley for like $30 or $40. I don't have time to find it right now but it's on the harley site somewhere. i had to get it to mount my ghost/edge quick release saddle bag brackets.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Gee
Tourer

Originally Posted by KevenW
you can buy a bracket that has the rear hole threaded from harley for like $30 or $40. I don't have time to find it right now but it's on the harley site somewhere. i had to get it to mount my ghost/edge quick release saddle bag brackets.
Thanks. I probably seem like I am cheap but I like coming up with ways to fix things or get them to work before I pay the HD Dealer prices. The jb weld and insert were already on hand so it was less expensive. I do think it would be better to have removed the section that wasn't threaded and insert the threaded insert through the hole and then jb weld it on. So far no problems though with the way I did it. It does make sense they would have one.

All you need is a hacksaw. Put masking tape over the area where you are going to cut. It will give a place to lay out the lines with a pen or marker and protect the plating from flaking or scratching if you slip a little getting started.
Thanks for the advice on how to cut it. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Idea for removing/installing rigid backrest side rails less painful