Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Tires for the FATBOB

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The difference isnt huge. Usually just a few mm. And that even varies between say a 16 and an 18 tall tire. 1 might be 196 and one might be 198. Its the same with car and truck tires too. You rarely see a tire marked as a 35" tire than actually measures 35" tall. And on top of that, actuall tire dimensions may vary with the width of the rim you are running. lol. Your best bet is to look at the Manufacturers web site because they list the tire size, the recomended rim width, and the actuall true measurement of the tire. Avon's site does for sure.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good points! I will check carefully before pulling the trigger.
BTW anyone know where the best deal is on the Avons?

Damn, I just found the Bridgestone specs and they are 206 (vs 196 Avon). Almost a half inch difference is not even worth trying...

Last edited by Puffdaddy; 02-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

Yep. Crazy huh? 1/2" is a huge difference when space is tight.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain

The Avon fitment guide says the min. rim size for a 200 or 150 is 5.5" or 3.5" respectively.
Is there any problems with the stock wheels only being 3" and 5"??

Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
HSB
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Only one!!!! Trying to make up my mind on what tires I wanted to run, seen several others on the forum were running Avons and I got a smoking deal on them...

Originally Posted by Fuzzman
HSB did you have to do any modifying to put a 200 on the rear? As I to am looking to get new tires. Just wondering. Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior

I really doubt it. Most of the times those min/max numbers are to cover the manufactures ***. Most likey the RandD was done on a rim size between those numbers so they will only rate them for such. Rim size has alot to do with the shape of the contact patch when they are mounted. A narrower rim pulls the bead in and rounds out the center of the tire. So if you are way undersize I can see wear and traction being an issue. But like anything there are exceptions. Using a truck tire for example. I was told by the tire place that they wouldnt mount my 12.50 wide tire on an 8" wide rim because it was a against the manufactures recommendations. Well most of the guys I've wheeled with like them like that because the bulge in the sidewall protects the rim and none of them have issues. But if something happened like a random blowout on the freeway then the tire manufaturer couldnt be sued because the person didnt follow thier recommendations. My point is there are people running 200 Avons on stock Fat Bob wheels with no problems or complaints. If you are concerned you should search something like "Fat Bob 200 tire" and PM the people who are running them and get their opinion. Personally I wouldnt be afraid to do it and I would except I want 18"s

Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
rudyt
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, i would patch but my front is very ready for a replacement. When i do change brands (and i will) i want to change them as a set. I plan to run the rear plugged for this month but will replace both before my 2 week miltary retirement ride at the end of april.
427 performance is not the issue. I ride pretty aggressive and they have never failed me. It's the cost of that shield on the side of the tire that i will not tolerate. Tue avons fit the bike well but I would use standard sizes personnally.
So the BT-20's (sport touring) have sizes to fit?? I wouldnt expect that.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rudyt
Well, i would patch but my front is very ready for a replacement. When i do change brands (and i will) i want to change them as a set. I plan to run the rear plugged for this month but will replace both before my 2 week miltary retirement ride at the end of april.
427 performance is not the issue. I ride pretty aggressive and they have never failed me. It's the cost of that shield on the side of the tire that i will not tolerate. Tue avons fit the bike well but I would use standard sizes personnally.
So the BT-20's (sport touring) have sizes to fit?? I wouldnt expect that.

They were available in the plus 1 application (150F & 200R). Thankfully Spankdog pointed out that the Bob needs a tire narrower than a true 200mm (which the BT-20 isn't). No fitment in OEM sizes or I would be all over it.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Fuzzman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys. Will be looking into some tires soon, and will be nice to have some other options.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
rudyt
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took a look at the Michelin Commander II. They have the front and the rear is a 180/"65"-16. I couldn't find an info on the total diameter of the tire on the web site. Anybody using them?

Quick Reply: Alternate Tires for the FATBOB