Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternate Tires for the FATBOB

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 PM
jjminch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RideOn1
If your taking your bike through twisty turns a bit....tire manufacturers do not recommend large fatter tires...handling will suffer....For looks and just going straight...fine, but we all like taking the turns hot!
Yes and no. My supersport has a 190 rear on it, and newer ones have 200 rears on them. The profile of the tire matters more than the actual width.

FWIW, I just put 150/200 Avon tires on my Fat Bob. The handling has improved tremendously. Initial turn-in starts off slightly slower, but it is smoother and easier to turn once started, when compared to OEM. My buddy rode it and agreed, and he rides a Fat Bob with OEM tires.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:13 AM
sicks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking in real quick, as this post helped me decide on which tires to get. I ended up with the 150/200 Avons - put them on Friday and did about 1k miles over the weekend (about half solo/half two-up). I must say, compared to the OEMs, I love em!

Handling - For me this is divided into two categories; 1. Responsiveness, 2. Stability.
1. Responsiveness. As many mentioned, the initial lean in is slower and heavier. This means more aggressive canyon riding is more difficult - flicking through turns definitely takes more effort. Also, slow speed maneuvering takes a little more effort. Personally, I have the FXDF to cruise - so this doesn't have much impact for me. Even with the extra effort, I don't mind it.
2. Stability. This is where it wins for me. Once you're in the turn, it's stable and very comfortable. It pretty much feels like I got new suspension. Straight line rolling feels very stable and the tires eat a lot of pot holes with no problem - there's also less impact felt at the handlebars.

I put the tires on the wheels myself, with no issues and no modifications (for any of those apprehensive about fitment, it was straight forward.) For my road trip, I ran it at 40/40 PSI through the desert, which is probably where I'll keep it most of the time. It seemed to work well for both solo and two up.

Anyway - thanks for the input from the forum.. these tires are awesome, so far!

Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Daddyojoe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate tires for FXDF

Hey, time marches on! Check out Metzeler CruiseTec 130/90 B16 and Metzeler CruiseTec 180/70 B16. Rave reviews, better wet traction and better than OK wear. https://bikereview.com.au/tyre-revie...oad-and-track/