Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little More Wiring Help Please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 644 Posts
Default A Little More Wiring Help Please...

I'm finishing up wiring my new bars and front signal relocation and came across two plugs that I am unsure about. In the pic below, I believe that the left and right turn signal plugs are circled in red, but in the yellow box, there is a male and a female connector that weren't plugged in when I tore the bike down. They are the same plug type and will mate, but the wire colors are different on either end. Anyone know what these two plugs are for? It's in my sig, but this is a 2017 FXDB

Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts
Old 02-09-2020, 06:09 PM
gleam
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

You might be able to track it down by looking at the parts catalogue from Harley here. Just search '2017 Dyna' at the top there. At first I thought you had to sign up to use the site but it seems like some things are still accessible without it. You can also search by VIN, as well.

The 'Wiring Harness' sections of these catalogues are really nice: they combine a bit of schematics with actual illustrations of the parts and connectors. Cross-referencing between the parts book and the actual schematic wiring diagram should allow you to trace everything.

I can't really say how universal this is or isn't, but in my experience I've found that the engineers often try to account for people working on these things by making two parts in such a way that they can only go back together the right way, by shaping them a certain way.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 721 Likes on 443 Posts

Not being a smartass, but why do you care? Maybe heated grips?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Cubby89
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't give you a detailed answer but I can give you an easy one. I don't remember the exact details but when I changed my bars/signals I think I had to switch which plug I was using to have my signals run as running lights and signals. If I remember correctly I also noticed some extra plugs in there with nothing plugged in. That was 3 years ago, haven't had any issues, and forgot about it until right now. Make sure what you need to work is working and call it a day.

The following users liked this post:
Superdog3:16 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 08:07 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
Not being a smartass, but why do you care? Maybe heated grips?
I'm semi-OCD.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member

14GuineaPig and @gleam thanks for the links...I couldn't find any termination point with matching colors though, which is kind of weird.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:55 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Take pictures before you go on and disconnect everything next time. Not after.

Be an OCD before you work on something, not after. Be the other part of the "semi-OCD".

Old 02-10-2020, 12:39 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Take pictures before you go on and disconnect everything next time. Not after.

Be an OCD before you work on something, not after. Be the other part of the "semi-OCD".
And the award for most unhelpful reply goes to ^^^^

If you read my post you'd see I'm not asking 'cause I tore **** up and don't know what it is, I am asking because they were already unplugged and I want to know what they are. Sheesh....

Old 02-10-2020, 12:59 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

I think they are open plugs maybe for heated grips. But if you just want to check turn them over and count the wires and colors male and female should be the same amount of wires and the same colors. Most of the time male wont fit into of the female if its not the same.

Quick Reply: A Little More Wiring Help Please...