Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 dyna stage 1 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 PM
sparkey909w
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 dyna stage 1 issues

Stage 1 upgrade issues

Ok I know this topic is on here alot but I can not find anything that answers these questions and I have not noticed these exact issues.

I am new here. I have a 2011 Dyna Super Glide Custom. At around 18-19k I put on a stage 1 with Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered standard baffels, and Vance and Hines FP3 tuner.
The bike sounds great but I think there are a few issues.

First of all I noticed that the pipes (Not the shields turned blue and purple within a few hundred miles while running auto tune. I contacted Vance and hines and they said not to auto tune this bike with these pipes and to just use the canned map for this set up. They also stated that pipes will change color and that this was normal. I can live with that but "Purple" I explained the pipe colors and they did not seem to be concerned. So while browsing this forum I cannot seem to find where anybody else has had this problem. in fact alot of post state that their pipes might have turnes yellowish after 10-20k miles but not blue or purple. So is this really normal or could I really have a problem. I intalled the upgrades my self and had my local harley shop check for Exhaust leaks and also test my O2 sensors. The shop could not find any leaks and said O2 sensors were fine.
I have also asked Vance and Hines about the O2 voltage readings that I am seeing on my phone while riding and they stated that the readings I see will not be accurate. Not sure why. If I rember correctly I was hanging around 1.0 to 1.1 on the fp3 sensor readings. will check this again the next time I ride it to work. According to alot of post I have read here I might be running lean but I have soot on the inside of my pipes that wipes off with my finger. I have checked my plugs and they look ok.
Question is Is this normal? if not what could be the cause? Pictures of pipes without heat shields are posted.

Second issue is decel popping. I have it and can't seem to get rid of it. mine is not like popcorn as i coast down, I am getting full on shot gun blast. This sometimes scares the S***t out of the driver next to me. I have read alot about this issue and when I was running the auto tune the problem would not tune out. I am currently running the canned map for my bike, A/C and pipes. I do not mind the decel pop that much I was just wondering why my 96ci with this set up seems to be so different from what I read about others having similar set ups, and also the fact that they seem to be able to run one auto tune and it is gone, kind of makes me wonder if I am kissing something.

Last issue- Top end performance seems like it is gone. I mean if I am running 85-90 mph and I twist on the throttle to wide open. my speed odometer seems to hit a brick wall and I am lucky to get to 100 or sometimes even 95. I don't usually drive wide open I just wanted to see what this thing would do with the stage 1 mods, and I was very dissappointed. Also this is judging by other post on here and what they state their Dyna's will do top speed. I do not believe I could hit 120 down hill, but others post their bikes hit 120 without any effort. I normally cruise 75-85 to and from work on the freeway and this is a very nice ride. Now to mix things up if I am running the same and slowly increase the throttle I can get to 110 but it take a long time and effort for the bike to get there. sounds like more fuel and air but no more output. the pipes sound like they are waking up but no more anything.
Is this normal or should I have more top end?

So here is more information. I do live in Las Vegas elevation is between 2000 and 2500 ft and I go over a hill that peaks around 2440 ft. I am running these test on slightly flat road. sometime going slightly up and sometimes going slightly down. lol. I do have extreme heat but not trying this on the hottest of days. I do run with a windshield and do at time run with out it. same results or not much of a difference.

So are these issues normal,do others with this same set up and this model or similar bike have any or all of these issues. Again I have a Dyna FXDC with a 96ci not a 103 or 110. no cams just stock with stage 1 as listed above. I also believe that this model is the last year with the 4 pin canbus connector and I have the FP3 for this bike.

Thanks all in advance
Ken

pipes less than 1000 miles

Last edited by sparkey909w; 05-10-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Update information
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Bump.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 PM
sparkey909w
6th Gear

thanks for the bump

Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

l have a SERT and a SE air cleaner set up on my 014 Lowrider but had the same pipes, they were pretty much the same after a few days.

The following users liked this post:
sparkey909w (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Step one. Get a PowerVison from fuelmoto. what engine temps are you seeing. If I remeber right pipes changing color means you are running rich.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

This is common with the FP3 from VH and can be solved by changing the map. The color change is less of a concern unless your not running a heat shield. Once they turn blue there's very little you can do about it. I would try a few of their canned maps until you find one that very close to what your expecting from your performance/mileage. I solved my popping problem by adding 2-5% more fuel in The 500-2500rpm/ 0 throttle circuit (column). Most of the canned maps I downloaded from the Dyno-jet website already had added values in the 0 throttle circuit. I also make sure I return throttle to the closed position when I shift or I will catch an occassional pop being caused by the changed values caused by my wrist.
I don't know anything about the VH tuner so I don't know if your able to manipulate any of your fuel columns. If not, finding a tech who knows the tuner will help.

The following users liked this post:
sparkey909w (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:54 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Blue/purple is fairly normal... although it does indicate you're running pretty hot (lean).. but it is why most pipes have heatshields, or are wrapped.

I find it odd that V&H said to not run in auto-tune mode with those pipes. Tuner should be able to mod the decel map and take your large pops out.

Top end: Is it gone under the canned map and auto-tune both?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:20 PM
sparkey909w
6th Gear

Originally Posted by natedog_37
Step one. Get a PowerVison from fuelmoto. what engine temps are you seeing. If I remeber right pipes changing color means you are running rich.
riding home from work today I was running around 264-266 on freway cruising 75-85 intake temp about 111-116 ambient temp 88 all deg F
in town I got up as high as 290 with intake temp as high as 160

Old 05-11-2017, 08:24 PM
sparkey909w
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TUCCI
This is common with the FP3 from VH and can be solved by changing the map. The color change is less of a concern unless your not running a heat shield. Once they turn blue there's very little you can do about it. I would try a few of their canned maps until you find one that very close to what your expecting from your performance/mileage. I solved my popping problem by adding 2-5% more fuel in The 500-2500rpm/ 0 throttle circuit (column). Most of the canned maps I downloaded from the Dyno-jet website already had added values in the 0 throttle circuit. I also make sure I return throttle to the closed position when I shift or I will catch an occassional pop being caused by the changed values caused by my wrist.
I don't know anything about the VH tuner so I don't know if your able to manipulate any of your fuel columns. If not, finding a tech who knows the tuner will help.
I am pretty sure I can manipulate the, I just need to figure out where to do it. The FP3 has a firecracker setting and is supposed to be for this. I have it set at 1 now.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:27 PM
sparkey909w
6th Gear

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Top end: Is it gone under the canned map and auto-tune both?
Pretty much. I have not run auto tune in a while.
I plan on getting the pipes ceramic coated sometime in the future. Not to concerned about the color as like you said: once it is there not much you can do about it. just did not expect it so soon.

Quick Reply: 2011 dyna stage 1 issues