Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling, again.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalling, again.

Hi guys,

OK, my bike has been having problems, a few months ago I was having problems with random throttle behavior and stalling at lights. This seems to have gone away for no apparent reason. Now it's started stalling again at the lights with the clutch pulled in.
The trottle position sensor was changed during the first period and I also pulled the fuel pak neither did anything at the time, I cleaned the IAC (by spraying carb cleaner in the hole and thought that had actually fixed it but almost 300 miles later and its started (stalling) doing it again.

Any ideas, should I clean the IAC again or should I just replace the thing? Or would it be something else? It's really bugging me as it is my only vehicle and I need it to get to work.

I've seen lots of threads on this problem but no solutions...

Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

may also be the speed sensor... have you checked our injectors make sure they are plugged in tight?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could also be a cam position sensor issue. I had a car where the tac would just die and sometimes the engine would shut off for no apparent reason...always when I was coming to a stop. Sometimes it wouldn't restart afterwards either unless you let it sit.

Replaced a ton of stuff before I got to the Crankshaft position sensor (does the same thing the Harley camshaft position sensor does...let's the ignition know where in the stroke the engine is). Once that was replaced, problem solved. Don't know if this is your problem but it is at least one more thing to add to the list.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM
JRK5892
Banned

you must drive a Jeep gran Cher! i have replaced my cam and crank sensor! hahaha

Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM
JRK5892
Banned

hung over have you run a diagnostic on the bike yet? what code is it throwing

Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer

Diagnostics have been run and no codes have been thrown, that's why it's such a frickin mystery! Although the dealer said there was one code but that was because it has aftermarket exhausts. (Big Radius 2-1).

Hmmm, thanks for the ideas guys.

It has stalled twice in 2 days but was fine this morning. I'll keep an eye on it, I just want it sorted before the weather gets nice!

08' Street Bob
Fuel Pak
Big Radius 2-1
and a squeeky belt!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

i had this exact problem. cleaning the IAC was my favorite past time. i even took it to the dealer and they couldnt figure it out, of course it never messed up for them. but the shop manager did ride my bike home one night and back the next morning, extended test ride... he did notice the lights would dim a little sometimes, found one of the battery bolts slightly loose, they contributed the shutting off when coming to a stop to this. i didnt buy it at the time. but i just put a little, very little loctite on the bolt and i havnt had this problem since (use a socket to tighten the bolt)... but i still clean the IAC once or twice a season for good measure. but you should really clean it with Throttle Body cleaner instead of carb cleaner, TB cleaner is sensor safe.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Your IAC could be bad, they are not too costly. Did you check the battery ground cable at the frame by the starter?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
you must drive a Jeep gran Cher! i have replaced my cam and crank sensor! hahaha
Nope...was on my Pontiac Grand Prix. The annoying thing about it is that it wouldn't throw a code! That's why it was so stinking hard to track down!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the above replies are good and it could be any of those items. However I had the same thing on my bike, cleaned the IAC and that lasted for awhile and it started coming back.

Started adding about a 1/3 of an ounce of Stabil with every fillup and that went away for good. Now I use some other product even better than Stabil. Ethanol is hard on fuel systems since it absorbs moisture so easily. A stabilizer product used regularly will help alleviate this build up.

Quick Reply: Stalling, again.