Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Hang Around

Gasket seems to be in ok condition... gonna try to reuse and hopefully save $30.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Road Warrior

Reusing gaskets and hoping they won't leak is false economy. If it leaks, you will have to replace the new fluids again and you will have to do the work again. Buy the gasket before you do the work, remove the old gasket completely and completely clean the mating surfaces before reinstalling the gasket and the component. In over 40 years, I have never heard of anyone even thinking of reusing gaskets on cars or trucks - so why does everyone want to save $15-$30 on a motorcycle whose engine/transmission is worked much harder than a car or truck engine? Doing it right, not over, is the correct perspective.

2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom
V&H Straightshot HS Slip-Ons w/BCT Baffles
V&H FuelPak, SE Stage1 A/C Kit
H-D Forward Controls, H-D Low Profile QD Windshield
Kuryakyn Pegs, Hogrida License Plate Bracket
H-D Logo A/C Cover, Mustang Vintage Solo Seat
Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Road Captain

It's just a gamble whether or not it's going to leak - your engine's not going to blow up. I buy a new gasket when I buy the fluid and if the old one leaks, I've got a new one on hand. I haven't tried reusing more than once though. Of course, if the old gasket leaks, you've lost the time it takes to replace it, again.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdondes View Post
Reusing gaskets and hoping they won't leak is false economy. If it leaks, you will have to replace the new fluids again and you will have to do the work again. Buy the gasket before you do the work, remove the old gasket completely and completely clean the mating surfaces before reinstalling the gasket and the component. In over 40 years, I have never heard of anyone even thinking of reusing gaskets on cars or trucks - so why does everyone want to save $15-$30 on a motorcycle whose engine/transmission is worked much harder than a car or truck engine? Doing it right, not over, is the correct perspective.
I agree.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Road Warrior

I rebuilt my engine, transmission, and chassis. I used all the same gaskets, seals, and hard parts. I saved a lot of money because I didn't buy anything. Just my own labor which I didn't charge myself. The only thing is, the engine runs like crap, it leaks from places I didn't even know had fluid, and I can't get it to move in neutral or in gear. My wifes being all bit**y about it because I can get it out of the family room where the carpet was replaced just before the overhaul.

Now this is just my opinion, but if it's worth taking it apart, it's worth new gaskets and seals when you put it together.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker01 View Post
I rebuilt my engine, transmission, and chassis. I used all the same gaskets, seals, and hard parts. I saved a lot of money because I didn't buy anything. Just my own labor which I didn't charge myself. The only thing is, the engine runs like crap, it leaks from places I didn't even know had fluid, and I can't get it to move in neutral or in gear. My wifes being all bit**y about it because I can get it out of the family room where the carpet was replaced just before the overhaul.

Now this is just my opinion, but if it's worth taking it apart, it's worth new gaskets and seals when you put it together.
You're kidding right?

Nobody, ( well I guess somebody,) would re-use internal gaskets on a rebuild! Pretty much deserved what ya' got there I'd say.

We were talking about an "outside" gasket that holds primary oil, not a friggin' combustion chamber!

And it's only a "false economy" rdondes if it doesn't work. On those 3 stators I replaced, there's $105 dollars in my pocket from those 3 primary gaskets I didn't buy and the bike leaks nothing. Nothin' 'false' about that.

BTW clicker01, if you can't get it in neutral, and it generally runs like crap, you f**ked up something else other than just your choice of gaskets.

2000 FLTRSEI Stage II 95" Big Bore with Andrews 26 Gear Drives,and a Patriot Defender 2 into 1 Exhaust.
A pick up truck ran the stop sign 2/26/14, and I built a "Screamin' Eagle Road King" out of the salvage.
(And I have a '04 BMW R1200 CL now too.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 03-06-2012 at 04:02 AM..
Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
You're kidding right?
Damn, you're gullible.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Prospect
Charlie Charles Charles Charles

I've reused gaskets on repairs before if I wasn't confident that it was fixed and never had a problem with leaks but when doing general maintenance at the start of the riding season I go with new. I've reused the primary gasket twice before and I think it's more important to check it out for cracks and to torque the screws correctly. My '01 SuperGlide has an inspection cover in the primary and that gasket seems to be more sensitive to reusing.
T-Man TR-555TQ performance cams
SE Stage I EFI kit, SE EFI Super Tuner
2001 FXD SuperGlide
If it ain't broke......polish it!

Last edited by cecharles; 03-06-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Prospect
Charlie Charles Charles Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker01 View Post
Damn, you're gullible.
Hey that's some good dust control.
T-Man TR-555TQ performance cams
SE Stage I EFI kit, SE EFI Super Tuner
2001 FXD SuperGlide
If it ain't broke......polish it!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Hang Around

Update: I chose to reuse the gasket and not a drip. Seems to have sealed up nicely. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:33 AM

P