Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed tail light/relocated plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removed tail light/relocated plate

I figure this is a good temporary solution for the '10 street bob fender till I save up to have the holes welded and repainted.

I got a medallion from the stealer and some black silicone from the auto parts store. Removed the tail light, wrapped the wires and connectors in electrical tape, in an attempt to keep them dry. (We'll see how that works)
Put a nice fat bead of silicone on the back of the medallion and pressed it on. Wiped off the excess, and viola!

Next I went to the local punk/goth store and bought some metal, screw back, spikes, that are big enough to cover the holes left by the mounting bolts for the light. While I'm at it, one for the hole in the front fender too.

For the license plate, I took the mount for the belt guard and the old license backing plate. Pretty sure I read this in the "Under $50" thread. There is no light on the plate yet but I'm still looking in to that.

I think it looks way better than that ugly light and mud flap plate!

Attached Thumbnails removed tail light/relocated plate-022.jpg   removed tail light/relocated plate-026.jpg   removed tail light/relocated plate-031.jpg   removed tail light/relocated plate-027.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Dustdevil21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea!!! I sat the other day scatching my head on how to do what you did but I couldn't figure out what to do with the connectors. I have an idea going through my head on another idea close to yours, I have to get with a friend from work and his plasma cutter to see if I can make the idea work.

How did you secure the connectors up under the fender? Do you have an issue with the turns not working correctly?

I ended up pulling the tail light and turn signals painting them black. Going to reinstall them tomorrow.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser

I didn't even test the blinkers yet. I was so excited to get the light off I must have forgot. The wires are just taped together and kinda wedged up in there. Not the most technical answer but that's what I have for now.

Last edited by Dropkick; 03-15-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

neat job, well done.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 AM
NDjury
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job first thing i did to my dyna was to chop the gay off the rear fender

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Dropkick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dustdevil21
How did you secure the connectors up under the fender? Do you have an issue with the turns not working correctly?
To hold the wires away from the tire I used a few zip ties thru the bracket/plate under the fender and around the wires. There is no effect on the signals from removing the tail light. On the '10 the signal lights work as run/stop/turn.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Better than limp dick light plus you won't crack the fender. Great idea!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

It looks good, now you just need to lower the bike. It took me about five minutes to figure out that HD really screwed up when they designed this ugly *** setup and it was off about five minutes later. I relpaced the fender with the chopped one.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Dropkick
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 128auto
Better than limp dick light plus you won't crack the fender. Great idea!
Gotta love the "Under $50" thread. So many great ideas there!
Avoiding the fender cracking was a big concern. Otherwise I'd have waited till I could have the fender hole welded and repainted.

Originally Posted by blueangel73
It looks good, now you just need to lower the bike. It took me about five minutes to figure out that HD really screwed up when they designed this ugly *** setup and it was off about five minutes later. I relpaced the fender with the chopped one.
That chopped fender looks sweet. That's the way the bike should have came from the factory.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!

Quick Reply: removed tail light/relocated plate