Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?

Done loads of searching but seems nobody does this. I'm of the few who actually LIKE the look of the stock sissy bar on the new Wide Glides. I know functionally it's worthless but I still like the look.

My problem is this: I bought my bike used & the previous owner had the docking kit fitted to use with a detachable sissy bar. He gave me the OEM sissy bar which I would like to put back on the bike, WITHOUT sacrificing the docking kit. Am I crazy?

I've gone as far as putting the OEM sissy back on today (with the docking points) & believe it or not- the detachable sissy actually fits together with the OEM! 2 sissy bars fitted at the same time for when my wife feels like going for a pillion spin & needs some real back support.

So all I want to know I guess is, am I missing something? Why am I the only one interested in this setup? Docking kit instructions say to remove the sissy, but don't mention putting it back. Mechanically the parts fit - but is there another reason this isn't advised?

Thoughts welcome.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
ssee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The detachable accessory has spacers that get placed between the struts and the fender to replicate the spacing the stock sissy bar provides and not stress the fender.

If you like the look of it with the original in place and the docking points I don't see any reason why you can't run it that way.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
BLK107
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hero
Done loads of searching but seems nobody does this. I'm of the few who actually LIKE the look of the stock sissy bar on the new Wide Glides. I know functionally it's worthless but I still like the look.

My problem is this: I bought my bike used & the previous owner had the docking kit fitted to use with a detachable sissy bar. He gave me the OEM sissy bar which I would like to put back on the bike, WITHOUT sacrificing the docking kit. Am I crazy?

I've gone as far as putting the OEM sissy back on today (with the docking points) & believe it or not- the detachable sissy actually fits together with the OEM! 2 sissy bars fitted at the same time for when my wife feels like going for a pillion spin & needs some real back support.

So all I want to know I guess is, am I missing something? Why am I the only one interested in this setup? Docking kit instructions say to remove the sissy, but don't mention putting it back. Mechanically the parts fit - but is there another reason this isn't advised?

Thoughts welcome.
Got any pics of both sissy bars on?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Hero
Tourer

Both sissy bars fitted. Seems to me it can be done.

Attached Thumbnails '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?-_c0e0524.jpg   '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?-_c0e0498.jpg   '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?-_c0e0487.jpg   '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?-_c0e0494.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Hero
Tourer

What? I don't have permission to even view my own pictures - seems hosting sites are the way to go.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 AM
BLK107
Advanced

Thanks for the pics, looks good. What p/n is the proper docking kit for that detachable setup? I did a Search and it looks like there are a couple of different ones?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Hero
Tourer

Sorry, I can't answer that. They were fitted already by the previous owner when I bought the bike used..

I'll hazard a guess & say that I think it's a combo of both docking kit 54097-10 (for the black nylon mounting points) and Relocation kit 53968-06C (for the longer stalk and hollow bolt for wiring) as suggested in the catalogue.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Texankirk1
Intermediate

Awesome! That's what I would like to so I can attach my T-bag to the sissy bar for longer rides. I wonder if it would work with quick detatch saddle bags as well. Hmmm

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
ssee
Advanced

I think most quick detach saddlebags will require turn signal relocation, I know the HD and Leatherpros do. The rear mounting point is the same as the stock run/stop/turn light location.

Originally Posted by Texankirk1
Awesome! That's what I would like to so I can attach my T-bag to the sissy bar for longer rides. I wonder if it would work with quick detatch saddle bags as well. Hmmm

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Texankirk1
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of seaching for bags. Tech support at BikeBandit.com said that the Saddlemen Cruis'n Saddlebag with Shock Cutaway will fit the 2010 Wide Glide without relocating the blinkers. I may have to give them a call and see if they know if there's enough room to put the saddle bags on if you have a quick disconnect sissy bar. I figure I'll get the bags first and then see if I can get the sissybar to fit with the bags on. I've never been around bikes with removable sissy bars and bags, so I don't know what the docking hardware for each looks like. Any input on this will help. I'll let y'all know if BikeBandit says the bags and sissy bar will fit at the same time. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: '10 Wide Glide- Fit docking kit but keep stock sissy bar?