Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge not working, Fuel light constantly on

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
knucklehed
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel gauge not working, Fuel light constantly on

2007 FXDL. I recently pulled my tins off to paint them and last night reassembled everything. I purchased a used fuel guage off ebay because my old one was scratched and beat up from the previous owner. I put a full tank of fuel in there and fired her up, drove a few miles last night and this morning drove 25 miles to work. The fuel guage doesnt read anything, the needle is not moving at all, and the low fuel light is constantly on.

could it be a faulty fuel guage? does the sensor for the low fuel light get its reading from the guage itself?

(I posted this another forum as well, hoping to hedge my bets as this forum see's more visitors)

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the low fuel light gets the reading from the guage. When I had mine painted I had originally cut the wires to remove the guage. I don't use it so I never bothered soldering the wires back together and the low fuel light always stayed on. That got annoying so I soldered the wiring back together.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Double check your connections under the dash, I had the same issue after repainting. Reseated all connections, problem solved.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
knucklehed
Advanced

Is it the connection under the dash I'm looking to reseat or is it the fuel connection that run through and under the tank. it look like the fuel guage connection runs directly to the computer.

Either way I'm thinking I bought a **** guage off ebay.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
hellbob37
Road Master

Originally Posted by knucklehed
Is it the connection under the dash I'm looking to reseat or is it the fuel connection that run through and under the tank. it look like the fuel guage connection runs directly to the computer.

Either way I'm thinking I bought a **** guage off ebay.
I had an 03 fatboy. Same thing took the bike apart and went to put it all back together In a rush when I plugged the one in from the fuel gauge there is three prongs. One didn't seat into the plug correctly. Pulled it out, straightened it up and voila. Gauge worked again

Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
knucklehed
Advanced

Ok, I'll pull out the wires from each prong individually, and re-insert back into the plug before I start soldering wires. Hopefully it's that easy.

Thanks for the reply's

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM
hellbob37
Road Master

Look and inspect them closely. Make sure the prongs are straight. I used a pick set and it worked like a charm. Make sure battery is disconnected also! Lol

Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by knucklehed
Ok, I'll pull out the wires from each prong individually, and re-insert back into the plug before I start soldering wires. Hopefully it's that easy.

Thanks for the reply's
The plugs under the speedo/dash. Make sure they're all tight.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
knucklehed
Advanced

Originally Posted by hellbob37
Look and inspect them closely. Make sure the prongs are straight. I used a pick set and it worked like a charm. Make sure battery is disconnected also! Lol
Ha! I here that, when I was relocating my turn signals I forgot to disconnect the negative. Took a small shock and blew a fuse. Thankfully thats a lesson only needed to learn once.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

When I relocated my turn signals I slid the tank back a few inches to give me more room. Somehow that unplugged my gas gauge. I had to lift the tank from the rear to reconnect it. I think it was on the left hand side, but it runs along side of the backbone. Have a look there.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge not working, Fuel light constantly on