Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Quarters HQ0034 Hurricane Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Dynamilt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Quarters HQ0034 Hurricane Cam

Hi All,
I'm a recent convert to Harley Davidson. I'd always liked the look of the FXDX and recently purchased one. I knew it wasn't going to have the performance of some of my previous Japanese and Italian bikes but i was hoping that having an 88 inch engine would provide enough power for me.
I was pretty much satisfied but searched the net as to how i might improve things. I'm not into riding fast anymore, i just wanted some more low/mid power. In my mind 88 inches was enough, so, with the bike already at stage 1, it was going to be a new cam.
It took a lot of reading on the net, manufacturer sites and forums, to conclude that there is TOO much information and opinion. I imagine that there are a lot of good performing cams out there. I was just going to have to take the plunge and choose one. I don't want to end up with a radical high performing engine, just a strong reliable daily ride. I decided on the Head Quarters Hurricane.
I had my local indy guy install them along with some AMS lifters. He had never used Head Quarters parts before. I have only done 100 miles on the new cams, but, i am really impressed, i mean REALLY impressed. The power starts from very low down. There is no defined point, it's just there straight away. Whilst riding along and opening it up now, i have alot more grunt and seat of the pants torque. Seriously, the difference put a smile on my face.
My indy guy has installed lots of cams, mainly screaming eagle, crane and S&S. After riding my bike he said it was "a seriously nice choice of cam, a good boost of smooth power from really low down compared to some others iv'e fitted"
I'm not saying it's better than others, just that it has really improved the usable performance of my bike.

Ride safe, Milt.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dynamilt
Hi All,
I'm a recent convert to Harley Davidson. I'd always liked the look of the FXDX and recently purchased one. I knew it wasn't going to have the performance of some of my previous Japanese and Italian bikes but i was hoping that having an 88 inch engine would provide enough power for me.
I was pretty much satisfied but searched the net as to how i might improve things. I'm not into riding fast anymore, i just wanted some more low/mid power. In my mind 88 inches was enough, so, with the bike already at stage 1, it was going to be a new cam.
It took a lot of reading on the net, manufacturer sites and forums, to conclude that there is TOO much information and opinion. I imagine that there are a lot of good performing cams out there. I was just going to have to take the plunge and choose one. I don't want to end up with a radical high performing engine, just a strong reliable daily ride. I decided on the Head Quarters Hurricane.
I had my local indy guy install them along with some AMS lifters. He had never used Head Quarters parts before. I have only done 100 miles on the new cams, but, i am really impressed, i mean REALLY impressed. The power starts from very low down. There is no defined point, it's just there straight away. Whilst riding along and opening it up now, i have alot more grunt and seat of the pants torque. Seriously, the difference put a smile on my face.
My indy guy has installed lots of cams, mainly screaming eagle, crane and S&S. After riding my bike he said it was "a seriously nice choice of cam, a good boost of smooth power from really low down compared to some others iv'e fitted"
I'm not saying it's better than others, just that it has really improved the usable performance of my bike.

Ride safe, Milt.
I've had that cam in a couple of 96 CID Harleys. The performance increase gives seriously good grins. If you look at the lobes compared to the stock cams you can see the duration is much longer than standard.