Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BackOff Tail Light Modulator Triggers Electric Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
FLD4sure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BackOff Tail Light Modulator Triggers Electric Warning Light

Installed a BackOff modualtor and noticed that the Red Electric System Warning light flashes now.
My HD security/electric system is reading the flashing modulator as a burnt out bulb.
Apparently a Load Resistor will fool it but I am not sure how to do it.
Anyone have any info on a resistor and where to install it to correct this problem.
Thanks
Bill
Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You are right, you need to install a load equalizer. Do a google search and you will find many options. Some will require soldering and others are plug n play. I bought mine from Custom Dynamics and it was plug n play. It installed in the wiring harness under the seat.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
FLD4sure
Cruiser

Signal Dynamics said that a Load Equalizer is only for the Turn Signals and won't work for the Tail Light.
Mike J. there said I need to install a parallel 330 ohm Resistor that will allow the security sytem to "see around" the flsahing tailight and not think it is a burnt out bulb.
I wrote back and asked how to install this Resistor and have not heard back - if I ever will.
So I'm looking for this workaround.
Thanks
Bill
Phoenix,AZ

Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go buy a 330 ohm resistor and wire it into your hot wire of your tail light, pretty simple fix.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Bright *** Lights a call. I ordered one of their brake lights and they sent it with a resistor that plugs inline with the brake light wiring. I'm pretty sure it's just a resistor and nothing too fancy. They might be willing to sell you one

Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
FLD4sure
Cruiser

Gave BAL a call and spoke to Mike, he said what they have is a setup for their lights to keep the circuit recognized, but don't sell them, and doesn't know if it will work with other applications.
Thanks Anyway.
I'll keep looking. Maybe Radio Shack, if I can find a 12v Type Resistor to use on a motorcycle.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
signaldynamics
Stage IV
Default We apologize...

Originally Posted by FLD4sure
Signal Dynamics said that a Load Equalizer is only for the Turn Signals and won't work for the Tail Light.
Mike J. there said I need to install a parallel 330 ohm Resistor that will allow the security sytem to "see around" the flsahing tailight and not think it is a burnt out bulb.
I wrote back and asked how to install this Resistor and have not heard back - if I ever will.
So I'm looking for this workaround.
Thanks
Bill
Phoenix,AZ
Bill,

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and we hope that you've gotten back on the road by now. If for any reason your issue was not resolved, or you were not able to successfully install a resistor please feel free to call or email us back. I know our records show that we had responded to your original email and to the best of my knowledge we haven't heard anything since 04/09. Please call 800-785-1814 M-F from 9-5 and let us help you get this worked out.

Thank you for being a Signal Dynamics Corporation Customer!

Be Noticed, Be Seen, Be Safe!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
FLD4sure
Cruiser

I installed the 300 Ohm Resistor from RShack. Patched it in above and below the Back Off Splice for the Tail Light.
Seems to be working fine now. I only get the Red Elec Sytem Light flash as I apply the brake. It flashes the same as the brake lights, and doesn't come on again. Before it was on all the time without the resistor.
Hope I'm not hurting anything.
Security System and all lights and blinkers are working normal.
What do you think?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FLD4sure
I'll keep looking. Maybe Radio Shack, if I can find a 12v Type Resistor to use on a motorcycle.
Resistors arent voltage rated, just resistance (in Ohms) and power (in watts), You need a 330 Ohm resistor, around 3 watts rated. See if you can get one that has a heat sink around it as the heat sink will often have 2 small tabs you can use for mounting.

FYI, resistors can get HOT sometimes (hence the importance of the Watt rating) as they dissipate energy via heat, higher the wattage, the higher the heat handling. Make sure you install it so it isnt touching other wires or harnesses etc.

Shouldnt cost you more than a few bucks at radio shack.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM
FLD4sure
Cruiser
Default Update

Heard back from Mike and he said
"Very glad you have been able to get rid of the warning light. This configuration will not harm your bike in any way, it is just an alert telling you something is wrong (which it is not). The resistor you installed should not get hot as it is only 300 Ohms, and will only see power when your brakes are on. Even when your brakes are on the bulk of the current will flow through the module (BackOff Modulator Module) which is rated at 120 watts. The resistor should, however, be insulated so that it cannot short against anything."

So, it is working great. Red security/electric light flashes as my brake light flashes, and occasionally comes on for a few seconds.

Maybe later I will spend $200-300 for tail light upgrade, but this is fine for now.

Thanks,

Bill
Phoenix, AZ

Quick Reply: BackOff Tail Light Modulator Triggers Electric Warning Light