Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Plasti-Dip Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:28 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Just thought I would throw it out there, but Rustoleum came out with their own plasti-Dip called FlexiDip. Sold at home depot, I'm sure at lowes also. Well I didn't use it on the bike, but I did my enclosed trailer wheels. I was never happy with plasti dip because I couldn't ever get it smooth. It looks like some of you guys were able to do it, but I could never get it. I was going to get plasti-dip for the trailer wheels and came across the rustoleum stuff so thought I'd give it a try. I gotta say this stuff went on perfect and almost looks like flat paint. Only wrinkles were my runs trying to get around the lugs. 4 light coats and 1 med coat. Just a hare over four cans. I don't know the durability yet, but I will in a month when I move and put them through 2400 miles of travel.

Name:  50A0B883-3413-4AD1-AFA8-BEA3DA60825C_zpsouogn4em.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  108.9 KB
Name:  E30105B9-9B2D-4EDA-A946-975616A0920C_zps6ck9kcaa.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  55.7 KB

Old 05-17-2014, 03:05 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I still don't grasp the concept. Is this stuff considered to be so handy because it requires no prep except cleaning the area...no scuffing, etc? Cheaper than powdercoat I guess...but I can rattlecan a battery band with Krylon in 5 minutes.

But it seems like durability is fairly temporary and it's kind of limited in terms of looks and application. Is gloss not an option?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That's the just of it. Go to dipyourcar.com and you can find plenty of colors and kits to do a whole car. There is a glossifier to make it glossy. Some also use it as a primer of some sort. Like painting vinyl. Paint doesn't stick very well, but plasti dip will and then spray normal paint over it And still able to peel it off. Some do that for rims as well. You can change the color and it doesn't cost an arm and leg. If you sell the vehicle peel it off to stock or leave it. If it gets scratched touch it back up and it blends easy. I don't have any on my bike because I knew I wanted permanent so i did the appliance epoxy. As for my trailer wheels above it was easy. I only masked off the lugs and the air cap, but didn't worry about anything else and didn't remove the wheels from the trailer. Where the grease fittings are on the buddy bearings I just peel off the rubber instead of masking it.

Nothing compares to PC or full prep painting, but for the DIY it's fun and simple to fix if you screw it up.

Last edited by JaronB; 05-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

can't view pics

Originally Posted by PatrickHenninger
I guess it's due time that I chime in here... Here are a few pictures of bikes I've plasti-dipped...

Mine:

Everything: Tank, fenders, air cleaner, fork lowers, and healight visor. Bike was Black Pearl before.

Customer #1 - FatBob: Tank, fenders, Air cleaner, and fork lowers. Bike was Red SunGlo before.

Customer #2 - Street Bob - Fork lowers only. I think it matches the paint pretty well...

Customer #3 - Honda Somethingoranother 1300.... Tank, fenders, side covers, hypercharger, headlight bucket, and plastic decorative dojobbers on the heads. Bike was horribly maroon before.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres an example that worked for me. Put a front chin spoiler on my Dodge Magnum. Painted it matt black with a rattle can. Within a week....i had 5 or six small chips fron small stones ,sand etc. Put 4 coats of Plasti Dip on it and no more chips.....it"s been 2 years now. Stones bounce off without leaving a chip cause it"s soft and flexes when hit. Still looks good.
Originally Posted by rockon
I guess I still don't grasp the concept. Is this stuff considered to be so handy because it requires no prep except cleaning the area...no scuffing, etc? Cheaper than powdercoat I guess...but I can rattlecan a battery band with Krylon in 5 minutes.

But it seems like durability is fairly temporary and it's kind of limited in terms of looks and application. Is gloss not an option?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this thread yesterday and muddled through all the posts, I had bought a can to spray my hog tunes lower covers because the cloth turned purple, that came out great and last night after enjoying a cigar I went into the garage and stared down my evo low rider and ripped the wheel and fender off and sprayed away! It looks sooo much better than that beat up aluminum, I had put off polishing the lowers for years and this was done in a half hour. Since the bike is up on a lift table I will give it a few more coats before I remount the wheel and fender (its my second bike).

thanks for the idea!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
You can do 2 coats .......pull tape..........re tape ...2 more coats........or all 4 coats and run a exacto knife at the tape before you pull it

Forgive me if this has already been answered...
I'm wanting to do my mirrors on my Street Bob (chrome at the moment), should I tape off the glass, trim that tape with exacto so it is just on glass, then after spraying it trim with exacto again to break the seal? Or am I going at this the hard way?

Old 07-31-2014, 04:47 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When i did my mirrors i sprayed the glass. The more coats the better it peels. There is a seam where the glass meets the metal.Push the dip up off the glass (when dry)with a toothpick and peel it off the glass.It will stop peeling at the sean/break and leave you with a clean edge. Wipe chrome with alcohol first and make sure its dry.
Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Forgive me if this has already been answered...
I'm wanting to do my mirrors on my Street Bob (chrome at the moment), should I tape off the glass, trim that tape with exacto so it is just on glass, then after spraying it trim with exacto again to break the seal? Or am I going at this the hard way?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 AM
LivetoRide05
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did my air cleaner cover last night. Matches good with my Rush exhaust
Name:  pd1.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  43.5 KB

Old 08-02-2014, 08:37 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
When i did my mirrors i sprayed the glass. The more coats the better it peels. There is a seam where the glass meets the metal.Push the dip up off the glass (when dry)with a toothpick and peel it off the glass.It will stop peeling at the sean/break and leave you with a clean edge. Wipe chrome with alcohol first and make sure its dry.

Cool thanks!
So start peeling in the middle of the mirror and work my way towards the seam right? How many coats do you think...4?
I see that seam you're talking about now. Gonna give it a whirl earlier next week when I'm off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Plasti-Dip Thread