Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Mans Stage 1,No Tuner Or Download Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,189 Likes on 12,877 Posts
Post Poor Mans Stage 1,No Tuner Or Download Needed

This combo is for the rider who just wants a good running and sounding Harley. I have no plans for any other engine mods so this worked for me : ScreamingEagle 2 slipons with the baffles taken out,the fiber wrapping discarded and the baffles reinstalled. K&N factory replacement filter,it flows all the air a stock 96 inch motor needs and you don't have to worry about rain or washing your bike or ever replacing it. Nightrider xied's,the small amount of extra fuel added at less than half throttle helps to cool the engine and throttle response is improved. That's it,I bought the slipons used so for $250 total I have a stronger,smoother,cooler running bike that has a deep tone but it's not overly loud. Oh yeah,guess I was lucky there's no decel pop either.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is basically what I did when I had my Sporty...SE race application slip-ons (bought used off CL), SE breather kit & XiEDs....ran like a champ & no decel popping & plugs looked good.
Went SERTPRO & dyno tune with my Dyna, but the above is a much cheaper option for those on a budget like you said & while not optimal, will be much better than stock.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

new to the Harley world and have just picked up the wide glide, like you just after some simple changes

will doing only the K&N filter help?

thanks
mirrmu

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,189 Likes on 12,877 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

new to the Harley world and have just picked up the wide glide, like you just after some simple changes

will doing only the K&N filter help?

thanks
mirrmu
The K&N filter is less restrictive than the stock filter,you will feel the difference. I did the slipons and xied's first and noticed the bike felt stronger. A couple of thousand miles later I installed the K&N,once again the bike felt stronger,especially in the midrange. I'm not talking about big gains here but there is definately more power and better throttle response.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Mark5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the same but just debaffled the stock muffs on my '11 FatBob. I agree with a better sounding and stronger pulling motor. A+ on the filter, debaffle and KN filter change.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
This combo is for the rider who just wants a good running and sounding Harley. I have no plans for any other engine mods so this worked for me : ScreamingEagle 2 slipons with the baffles taken out,the fiber wrapping discarded and the baffles reinstalled. K&N factory replacement filter,it flows all the air a stock 96 inch motor needs and you don't have to worry about rain or washing your bike or ever replacing it. Nightrider xied's,the small amount of extra fuel added at less than half throttle helps to cool the engine and throttle response is improved. That's it,I bought the slipons used so for $250 total I have a stronger,smoother,cooler running bike that has a deep tone but it's not overly loud. Oh yeah,guess I was lucky there's no decel pop either.
And im guessing but i bet it took the stock sewing machine sound away too! These bike come so restricted from the factory and running lean they sound like a sewing machine. I honestly believe that doing the simple and cheap MODs is the best way with these bikes for someone who wants the bike to sound better and have it run alot better then stock and save there pennys! Nothing wronge with the folks who want to get tons of power and spend a ton of money doing it but for the money and the performance your limited with an air cooled Harley id rather just do basic MODs! If performance was top on my list and not comfort and style i would have bought a V-rod! I would love to own one one day as a second bike tho!! LOL.. 125 hp stock and liquid cooled would make a great second bike! Too get that from an air cooled takes alot of time and money that i would rather spend in other things!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

hi,

thanks fella's,

mirrmu

Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 AM
jeffRKMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Ultra limited and put Rush 1.75 slipons on it and that is all.. Harley says I should put on a hd super tuner , stage one air cleaner and dyno it.. Should I or are they just trying to get more bucks out of me ? It runs fine.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you don't actually change the air cleaner back plate and just swap the filter out with the K+N it should be OK,
But if you change the back plate your best with a tuner.
Slip-ons don't make any difference in the flow with stock headers.
I had the 1.75 rush slip-ons and just the K+N air filter and Xieds to start it was OK a little decel but OK.
When I switched to 2 into 1 exhaust and the K+N back plate and filter it made a whole lot of difference going to a tuner.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Slipons, SE air cleaner, dealer download.........simple, easy, runs great, and less than $500.

Quick Reply: Poor Mans Stage 1,No Tuner Or Download Needed