Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. Quick-Release Super Sport Windshield - Buffeting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
danrad55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H.D. Quick-Release Super Sport Windshield - Buffeting issues

I am using the H.D. Quick Release Super Sport Windshield and experience a lot of buffeting, especially when I am wearing my full face helmet. I know the wind is coming up from under the shield because I can hold my arm across the chest and the buffeting goes way down. I saw that Rifle makes a replacement windshield with modifications (wider, taller). Has anyone ever tried one of these shields and did it eliminate any/all buffeting issues that you might have had? I am also considering the Memphis Shades Batwing, lowers and a Clearview windshield, but this option will cost quite a bit more, but I am willing to do it if necessary. Looking forward to hearing your comments. Yea, I know, some people don't like windshields!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
testifer
Road Master

to high and to low will cause buffeting. the good thing about the quick release is that you have a few inches of travel up or down on the forks where they mount. ideal position for a dyna is as low as you can get them so u get less under the windshield and a height of where your nose is will give you the least amount of buffeting. higher or lower will increase your buffeting. trust me, after having road kings, electra glides, dynas and sportsters i have tried everything with windshields. also the more the windshield angles to the front of the bike, the better. you dont want it to angle back towards you much at all.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 AM
testifer
Road Master

also, i have the regular quick release. i think its an 18 inch windshield. i am 5 11 and i had to cut it down 1 1/2" to stop buffeting, that brought it right to my nose. dont think higher the better. my road kings i think i had to cut 2 1/2 or 3 inches off. my electraglides i had to cut 2 inches off. if not my helmet would beat the **** out of my head.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
pokey074
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just found out the same. Added an HD 18" QD windshield and now get helmet buffeting. There's a thread over in another forum that says adding fork lower deflectors/"fangs" is the solution.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think HD makes ANY ws that doesn't have a buffeting issue.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

have tried alot of windshields,hd regular hight,clearview recurve,harley touring,had the recurve cut twice,use it alot but it is real short only comes up to my chest,but if i go a long distance or there is a chance of bad weather i put the touring windshield on and put it as low as i can if the weather turns bad i"ll stop and move it up thats the nice thing about the clamps you can move it easy and in bad weather you are going to slow down that takes care of the buffeting

Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM
craig11dyna
Tourer

Originally Posted by testifer
also, i have the regular quick release. i think its an 18 inch windshield. i am 5 11 and i had to cut it down 1 1/2" to stop buffeting, that brought it right to my nose. dont think higher the better. my road kings i think i had to cut 2 1/2 or 3 inches off. my electraglides i had to cut 2 inches off. if not my helmet would beat the **** out of my head.
I would like to cut 2" off my windshield. What did you use to cut it? Any hints as to do a good job of it?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
valter
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought the 14", and was getting buffeting...but now that i read the lower the better...i may have to go for a ride right now to see. not sure if the FXDWG rake makes it worse, but IF i can find the sweet spot, i may not sell mine...been trying, but since I got time, off for a ride!

thanks for this tread!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM
DavTN
Tourer

After trying a few, I have a clearview, it is wider and less slant with a slight recurve at the top. The key is getting the right size for you. Measure while sitting on the bike in riding position. It should be even with the bridge of your nose. Typically that height minus the height to the headlight bucket, but varies by company. Solved the buffeting problem for me. I have a rocker so no experience with the dyna shield but the point is to get the air to flow just over your head and not at it like most HD shields.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
caaraa
Banned

There's a thread over in another forum that says adding fork lower deflectors/"fangs" is the solution.

Quick Reply: H.D. Quick-Release Super Sport Windshield - Buffeting issues